Culture

Q&A with Dara Silverglate, manager of college relations for Macy’s Inc., lead recruiter for SU

Daily Orange: What’s one thing you look for in a resume?

Silverglate: It’s always good to put in your interests; it’s adding some personality. Also with regards to an ‘objective,’ I think sometimes it hinders you more than it helps you. Have it be more broad than specific.

Do you see value in cover letters?

To be honest, I don’t look at cover letters. We get thousands of resumes a year, and I don’t have the time to read them. I know some companies require them, but if you do have a cover letter, you really want to outline what your skill set is and what you can bring to the company.

How should a student talk about himself or herself to a recruiter?

I think what’s best is really to sell yourself and deliver your pitch. It’s really selling yourself in those sixty seconds that you have of that recruiter’s attention. Introduce yourself, what you’re majoring in, if you have a minor — it’s important to include that — what year you are, why you’re interested in this specific role and what skill set do you have that you can bring to that employer. If you come in already knowledgeable about that position and that company, the recruiter will be very impressed with what you know.

What should students do if they’re interested in being hired?

I think it’s important to ask for a business card and ask for the next steps in the application process. Many companies host info sessions and it’s good to attend. One, you’re learning more about the company. Two, you’re learning more about the jobs that they’re recruiting for. And three, you understand the company culture with the more people that you meet. The more face time you have with a recruiter, the better. Ask when the application is due. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the recruiter via LinkedIn. I know it is now the professional Facebook, and it’s a great way to network with employers. Don’t be afraid to use LinkedIn with a recruiter or with other alumni to get a better understanding of the position and the company culture.