Opposites attract: Synergy between LA, SU creates exclusive opportunities

When Hollywood meets the Hill, an undeniable, two-way connection is forged. Syracuse University adds a unique diversity to its student body, while Los Angeles alumni bring remarkable value and prominence to the school.

Through the last decade, SU’s California presence, both in enrollment and alumni involvement, continues to grow at an exponential rate.

‘I’m thrilled with the way it’s going,’ said Chancellor Nancy Cantor. ‘The West Coast is really starting to feel like a critical mass here. Our presence and visibility goes back and people talk about (SU), so that can only help us.’

It makes sense to expand SU’s outreach beyond the Northeast, said Ellen Beck, West Coast director of development. When students graduate, many pursue opportunities outside of Central New York, so expansion and engagement in other areas is crucial, she said.

The SU in LA program alone generates enormous buzz for its strength, Beck said. ‘It’s made us ‘the hot school,’ and that is a great accomplishment, especially for a school in the Snow Belt,’ Beck said. ‘As we say in LA: All roads lead to Syracuse.’

Leaving the bubble

In 2001, SU received 434 applications and enrolled 54 students from California. Last year 1,604 applied and 165 matriculated. The increase in applications from 2001-11 hovers around 370 percent; enrollment has increased by 305 percent.

Don Saleh, vice president for enrollment management, provided these numbers and offered explanations for the increases. First, the financial situation within the University of California system is difficult. Also, high school graduation rates are steadily increasing on the West Coast, whereas those same rates in the Northeast remain stagnant. With financial restrictions and space limitations, West Coast students look east, he said.

‘And Syracuse catches the eye,’ Saleh said. ‘It’s the quality of the programs we’re offering. It’s the word of mouth from students to encourage their brothers, sisters, cousins, friends to attend SU.’

Though his mom is an alumna, northern Californian Chris Guimarin wasn’t considering SU until an impromptu trip had him touring campus and visiting The Warehouse. Guimarin, a sophomore communication design major, said he felt inspired by The Warehouse and applied early decision. It isn’t much of a sacrifice to attend school far away given the potential gain.

‘The world is the eye of a needle, it wouldn’t make a difference to me if I went to school in Australia or Germany,’ he said.

The West Coast provides a hub for nearly all professions, from architecture to entertainment. For those interested in the latter, a great majority of opportunities are available exclusively in California, said Brian Frons, a 1978 graduate.

Frons, current president of ABC daytime, partially credits SU for his career successes, working at media giants CBS, NBC and ABC. Frons said SU influenced his personal life, helping him foster future relationships.

‘I really felt that everyone who was in the walls of Newhouse had passion and were smart,’ Frons said. ‘When you’re at any university you’re buying several things. The two major ones are: your education and the kids you interact with.’

Returning to their roots

Even more impressive than the boost in student enrollment is SU’s consistent alumni presence in California, especially in LA.

As of June 2011, there were 7,758 alumni in the LA area, said Karen Spear, executive director of regional advancement, in an email. Additionally, 1,415 LA donors, including alumni, parents and friends, contributed $54,144,153 to the Campaign for Syracuse University.

LA alumni activity has always been strong, said 10-year LA native Jennifer Erzen, former and acting president of the Alumni Club of Southern California.

‘Even before SU in LA, we were the third largest (club) in the country, behind NYC and CNY,’ Erzen said. ‘There was a strong Orange network, but it was underground. Now we’ve discovered SU alumni in all levels of all businesses.’

The LA alumni club hosts many activities, including an alumni networking event in June and a student send-off in July, Erzen said. An annual fall luncheon honors southern Californian alumni who distinguish themselves professionally and give back to SU. Past recipients include ABC daytime president Frons, SU trustee George Hicker and prominent screenplay writer and producer Aaron Sorkin.

Alumnus Mitch Messinger participates in college fairs and conducts admission interviews for prospective students, he said.

‘I tell students, ‘SoCal will always be here for you,” said Messinger, publicity director at ABC daytime. ‘There is life outside of the bubble.’

Additional efforts, such as SU in LA, aid in the explosion of the West Coast focus at SU.

When the LA semester began three years ago, its inaugural class consisted of 24 students, said Andrea Asimow, director of the program. This fall, 41 students enrolled. Though the program started as a partnership between the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts, it now attracts students from all colleges, Asimow said.

Professors in the program are professionals in their respective fields and bring real-world problems to discussions in the classroom. The practicality of the semester coupled with real-world opportunities — each student is guaranteed an internship — ensures a well-rounded experience.

‘The students on the LA semester are taking themselves into the belly of the beast,’ Asimow said. ‘When they return for full-time jobs, they have a knowledge base, a contact base and very realistic view of what they’re getting into.’

SU trustee George Hicker played for SU basketball before graduating in 1968. Hicker’s teammates included SU head coach Jim Boeheim and former Detroit Mayor Dave Bing when he was a sophomore and they were seniors. Hicker said he remains close with Boeheim and SU Athletic Director Daryl Gross, a California native.

Today, Hicker is the president of real estate firm Cardinal Industrial and participates in major fundraising projects for the university. Hicker’s professional success drives his ability to aid efforts like the football program, SU in LA and the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center, he said.

Aside from helping to consolidate SU’s LA offices, Hicker said he donated $2 million for the construction of the basketball center in 2009. Hicker said he also contributed to the SU football team after he noticed the impressive changes Doug Marrone instated as head coach.

‘Ten, 20 years out of school I didn’t have the ability to do that,’ Hicker said of his financial contributions. ‘People lose sight of how fortunate they are, and you should give back to the school that helped you get there.’

No end in sight

Beck, Erzen, Asimow and many SU alumni agree on the origin of this growth: the Chancellor’s vision of geographies of opportunity.

‘The passion that LA alumni showed finally got the university to do something,’ Erzen said. ‘A lot of it has to do with Nancy Cantor.’

Cantor’s vision has truly taken form on the West Coast. What began as an afterthought of expansion sits now at the forefront of priorities for West Coast constituents and SU administrators.

‘One of the things that’s really important for an institution like Syracuse is to really think about its engagement with the world,’ Cantor said. ‘First, that we are a part of the world and second, that we bring the world to campus.’

Cantor said there will never be a time when there is ‘too much’ geographic diversity at SU. With SU based in Central New York, it will always maintain its Northeast identity, she said.

Asimow, a UCLA graduate, spent 35 years in the entertainment industry before joining SU. The industry veteran often ran into SU alumni, not realizing the vast spread of its graduates.

‘I can see how you bond in such a special way, going to school there, living there, surviving the season,’ Asimow said. ‘SU does a wonderful job of creating a feeling of family, of bleeding orange, of developing potential alumni who aren’t going to forget about the school. And the friendships, the bonds, that always strikes me.’