Opinion

Letter to the Editor : Sigma Phi Epsilon endorses Taylor Carr for SA president

On behalf of the New York Alpha chapter of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at Syracuse University, I would like to express our endorsement of Taylor Carr for president of the Student Association.

As a proactive social fraternity, we believe it is our responsibility to hold ourselves up as prominent leaders on this campus. Although it is important to extend ourselves to the community on and off the Hill through various philanthropic and service events, it is even more necessary to engage the entire SU campus to give back to their communities.

Just as how our fraternity is influenced by the philanthropic efforts of other fraternities and sororities on this campus, we feel that the implementation of required community service hours for students on SA will inspire other students to take part in more volunteer activities. SA is not an introverted organization; rather it is one of the most influential groups on our campus.

By taking initiative to influence students to become more involved on our campus, Carr’s campaign, we hope, will encourage students within greek life to become more associated with SU outside of their respective chapters. Today one of the biggest issues that plagues our small, yet highly impressionable greek society, is the disconnect that greeks have with the rest of the Syracuse campus.

Carr has already shown his admiration for our community, seeing that we are not just a social outlet, but rather a hard-working and dedicated group of men and women who uphold the values of brotherhood and sisterhood. During the past year, we have been impressed with Carr’s dedication to improve relations within the greek community through his achievement to revise the university’s Codes of Ethics in regards to cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is an issue that not only affects greeks, but the SU campus as a whole. However, we feel that greeks are the constant target for harassment and mistreatment, especially on websites such as Collegeacb.com.

We feel that with Carr’s efforts to improve relations within greek life, he is the best candidate for president of SA. There is no doubt in our minds that Carr will continue to work toward bettering our community, as well as our association with the SU campus as a whole. We hope that other fraternities and sororities will join us in endorsing Carr for president to advance the ideals of our individual organizations to improve this campus.

Michael J. Tischler

President, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity