Health & Science : At risk: Long-term exposure to pollution exacerbates danger of heart attack

A recent study found living in areas with high traffic pollution correlates to a higher rate of heart attacks, according to a Time magazine article published online Sept. 21.

The study found that although the risk is real, it is also transient — meaning that those already prone to heart attack are more at risk than those who don’t currently suffer from heart ailments. Short-term exposure does not equate to a risk but prolonged exposure does, according to the article.

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine analyzed data from those who had a heart attack between 2003 and 2006 in 15 urban areas of England and Wales, according to the article. A team of epidemiologists then compared the recorded hour of each heart attack with regional air pollution data, which offered information about pollutant particles and greenhouse gas levels, according to the article.

Simon Hales, a senior research fellow at the British Medical Journal who wrote an editorial about the study, said the study’s results should be studied even further.

‘Further evidence that effects of air pollution are complex suggests that policymakers should focus on effects of long-term exposure,’ Hales said.

Not only will this study peak the interest of policymakers and environmentalists, Hales said he also believes it will bring more general awareness about the dangers of pollution.

This isn’t the first time pollution has been shown to negatively affect health. In regard to high rates of asthma and pollution, it has become a problem in the public health world.

Pollution has also been an issue in the city of Syracuse.

‘We know that there are high rates of asthma in people living in public housing adjacent to I-81,’ said Maureen Thompson, associate professor and undergraduate program director of the public health at the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

‘Both ozone and fine particles have been found to cause an increase in atherosclerosis in adults,’ Thompson added.

Syracuse monitors the amounts of pollution and has also been an advocate for the creation of things such as rain gardens and urban forests, Thompson said.

‘Absolutely no good comes from constantly inhaling air pollution, hence the problems with asthma and heart risks related to pollution,’ said Lauren Searles, a junior public health major. ‘I think SU needs to find ways to take action against the city’s pollution and make it a safer place to live.’