University Union : Demetri Martin to perform stand-up comedy at SU

Comedian Demetri Martin will deliver Syracuse University some laughs Oct. 12, University Union officials announced Friday. Martin will perform stand-up comedy in Goldstein Auditorium at 8 p.m. in the show co-sponsored by UU and the Panhellenic Council.

‘He’s pretty well-known across campus for a lot of his different ventures,’ said Jamie Berman, co-director of UU Performing Arts. ‘He has a very quirky sense of humor that’s different from anything we’ve gotten in a while.’

Tickets for Martin are on sale Monday at 9 a.m. and open to all SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry faculty, staff and students. The $5 tickets can be purchased at the Schine Student Center box office or online via the website.

Martin, a well-known American stand-up comedian, first generated buzz in 2001 on a Comedy Central stand-up showcase. Since then, Martin has written for shows ‘Late Night with Conan O’Brien’ and ‘The Daily Show.’ Before entering the world of comedy, Martin attended Yale University and received his law degree from New York University.

UU Performing Arts, a division of UU, is known for bringing comedians and speakers to campus twice a year, said Amanda Shaw, co-director of UU Performing Arts. The division also sponsors many annual events on campus, including SU Idol and SU’s Best Dance Crew.

Martin last performed at SU in the Jabberwocky Café on Dec. 7, 2005. Since then, Martin has developed a larger following, and there’s a new group of students on campus to watch him, Shaw said. Whereas the capacity for the 2005 show was 300, this year’s move to Goldstein allows for 1,500 audience members.

‘He has the visibility,’ Berman said. ‘We’re confident that it’s going to do well, and we’re really excited about it.’