Cultivating culture: Other traditions at ESF

Since 1911, SUNY-ESF has reveled in rich history and developed a strong identity adjacent to the Syracuse University campus. Here’s a short list of some other popular traditions at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry:

December Soiree

The December Soiree is a chance for December graduates to join together one final time during the evening of December Convocation. Traditionally held at a venue in the city of Syracuse, this semi-formal event features fine food, dancing, speeches and awards.

The Maple Leaf Awards and the Distinguished Advisor Awards are distributed at the soiree. Additionally, the Robin Hood Oak Awards are given to ESF leaders active in the school and in the community. ESF’s yearbook, the Empire Forester, is dedicated to a campus leader who has contributed to the school significantly in the past year.

Sponsored by the undergraduate student government and a committee of student managers, this year’s event will be held Dec. 11.

Alex Bishop, a senior in the environmental resources engineering program, said he’s excited for the soiree to commemorate his four years at ESF.

‘It’s probably going to be my last event that I go to as a student,’ Bishop said. ‘I’m looking forward to seeing everyone dressed up all nice and ready to charge out into the world.’

ESF Coffee Haus

Hosted by the Alpha Xi Sigma Honors Society, the Coffee Haus brings ESF students, faculty and staff together for a night of relaxation and artistic expression. Members of the ESF community typically gather in Nifkin Lounge, and participants showcase their talents through song, dance, poetry reading and more. Kristin Doherty, vice president of AXS, said the event is held once a month and always has a nice diversity of performances.

‘Because it’s open to everyone, there are really eclectic music styles,’ said Doherty, a senior environmental biology major. ‘That’s the best part. Someone gets onstage and you think, ‘What are they doing? That sounds awesome, but I have no idea what is happening.”

Bishop, who said he performed a couple of times his sophomore and junior years, appreciates the chance to take a break and be creative. ‘It’s a nice event to go see live music by people that you see on campus everywhere,’ he said.

Walking across the Quad

The ESF Quad serves as a centralized grassy area, surrounded by four major  buildings at ESF: Bray Hall, Marshall Hall, Moon Library and Illick Hall. Using the Quad as a pathway is frowned upon, as it breaks a longstanding tradition. Students are allowed to walk to a specific spot on the Quad to sit, read, sleep or throw around a Frisbee — doing so isn’t off limits, but rather encouraged. The reasoning behind protecting the Quad is to prevent the open, green space from the potential formation

of worn paths created by sneakers and bikes. The idea stems from the concrete pathways created on

SU’s Quad because of wear and tear caused by pedestrians, said Meagan Pepper, a senior environmental science major. One plaque on an edge of the Quad requests bystanders to avoid breaking the traditions, and students definitely abide by

it, Bishop said. Some students were so passionate about the subject that

in April 2009, a few gathered together to create a Facebook group titled ‘DON’T WALK ACROSS THE QUAD!!!!!’ Pepper admitted she’s even seen a few students, both from SU and ESF, tackled by protectors of the Quad.

—Compiled by Amrita Mainthia, managing editor, [email protected]