Making up for lost time: Catch up on what you missed at SU during the 2010-11 year

Here are 10 notable events that happened during the 2010-11 academic year, including news about Marshall Street, sports, greek life and community involvement. 

Donation makes university history

Syracuse University announced its second-largest donation in university history at an event titled ‘Project P’ on Oct. 1.

SU alumnus Howard Phanstiel and his wife, Louise, pledged $20 million, which went toward a new scholarship program for middle-class students set to begin in fall 2011.

The Louise and Howard Phanstiel Scholar Program is offered to middle-class students with U.S. citizenship who have demonstrated potential for academic success and community leadership. Elements of the scholarship include keeping students involved in the community and teaching them financial responsibility.

The $20 million donation was ranked 48 of 50 among The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s most generous donors of 2010.

SUCOLitis blog undergoes investigation

A satirical blog about the SU College of Law, SUCOLitis, began publishing online at the beginning of October. Some found the blog offensive.

Charges were filed against Len Audaer, a second-year law student suspected to be the author of the blog. Gregory Germain, associate professor of law, began an investigation.

Blog posts included ‘Class of 2013 Named Most Attractive in History’ and ‘Senate President Elected SU’s Sexiest Semite.’ The posts had fake quotes and content and were generally attributed to law school faculty and students, though some were made-up names.

The investigation raised questions about the definition of harassment and SU’s freedom of speech policies.

One-hundred days after the investigation began, Germain proposed settling the matter before a federal judge, Judge George Lowe. Late January marked the end of the investigation, as Audaer admitted he was one of several authors of the blog.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education gave SU a speech code red, meaning at least one policy at the university restricts free speech. A Huffington Post editorial also named SU the worst college in the nation for free speech.

Syracuse wins New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Syracuse won its first bowl game since 2001 at the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, defeating Kansas State 36-34.

With 7:53 remaining in the fourth quarter, quarterback Ryan Nassib completed a 44-yard touchdown pass to Marcus Sales, giving the Orange a 33-28 lead and Sales his third touchdown grab of the game. Kicker Ross Krautman would later tack on a 39-yard field goal for the Orange to go ahead 36-28.

With just under two minutes to play, Kansas State scored on a 30-yard touchdown pass to make it 36-34. But after the Wildcats failed on the two-point conversion and were unsuccessful in trying to recover the ensuing onside kick, the Orange ran out the remainder of time on the clock.

Delone Carter was named the most valuable player of the game after he ran for 198 yards and scored two touchdowns for the Orange.

The last bowl game Syracuse won was the 2001 Insight.com Bowl, also against Kansas State. The Orange also appeared in the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl, resulting in a 51-14 loss to Georgia Tech.

J. Michael Shoes floods, Marshall affected

Marshall Street was closed down Jan. 21 after a water main break at J. Michael Shoes caused flooding in the store’s basement and the foundation to collapse.

J. Michael, located on Marshall Street since 1983, moved to a temporary location in Marshall Square Mall at Follett’s Orange Bookstore until repairs were completed. The store reopened on Marshall Street in mid-June.

Other businesses along the street were also affected by the water main break. Archie Potamianos, the landlord of the building where J. Michael is located, used the basement as his office for his businesses Potamianos Properties and Student Storage Company.

The Unique Tea House had to postpone its move above J. Michael until repairs were completed. Businesses behind the barricades that blocked off the street from Chipotle to J. Michael also lost profit, including Cosmos Pizza and Grill, Panda West Chinese and Halo Tattoo, located above J. Michael.

Sorority closes down at SU

The Lambda chapter of Alpha Chi Omega at SU closed due to the sorority’s failure to change behaviors after being put on probation a year before.

The decision to revoke the chapter was made Jan. 28, the first day of spring recruitment. A Chi O had been part of the campus since 1906.

The chapter was notified a decision would be made the day before it happened, and the six-member National Council voted unanimously to revoke the chapter’s charter.

In spring 2010, the chapter was put on probation for ‘severe risk management violations.’ Headquarters staff visited the chapter and worked to implement a plan for improvement, but violations of probation terms and university policies continued.

All SU members transitioned to alumnae status.

Students raise money for SSO

To avoid shutting down its 50th anniversary season four months early, the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra needed to raise $375,000 by Feb. 4 and an additional $445,000 by March 4. A total of $1.75 million had to be raised by Aug. 1 to complete the season.

Legislators voted unanimously to release the SSO’s $200,000 in emergency funds in two installments: $100,000 once it reached the first fundraising goal and $100,000 once it reached the second.

SU’s Oratorio Society, a vocal ensemble composed of SU students and community members, raised thousands of dollars for the orchestra. Liz Varga also helped raise money by creating a Facebook event titled ‘Crouse helps keep the music playing’ and encouraged students and alumni to donate $5.

The Syracuse International Film Festival held a movie screening and donated a portion of its proceeds to the SSO for the March 4 goal. SU’s Music Educators National Conference launched a can and bottle recycling drive.

But the SSO was unable to reach its March 4 goal, falling $144,913 short of the $820,000 goal.

The SSO performed its last concert April 2, and the orchestra’s Board of Trustees suspended its artistic operations and laid off all its musicians and music staff April 3.

First snow day in 18 years

All classes were canceled due to weather conditions for the first time in 18 years on March 7.

The university first announced classes before 12:30 p.m. would be canceled and administrative staff would have a delayed opening at 10 a.m. Then all classes were canceled via email shortly after 9 a.m.

This was the first time the university canceled classes at the start of the day since March 1993. A total of 13.4 inches fell compared to the 42 inches of snow when classes were canceled in 1993.

Last winter season marked the fourth snowiest season for Syracuse, with a total of 173.5 inches as of March 7.

Donation helps revamp College of Human Ecology

The College of Human Ecology was renamed the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics in July in honor of a $15 million gift from alumni David and Rhonda Falk.

The college, which is divided into eight different campus buildings, will also be relocated to a central location, where the College of Law currently stands once it relocates to Dineen Hall.

In April 2008, the Falks donated $5 million to establish the David B. Falk Center for Sport Management, which endows a faculty position and funds a lecture series. It is now creating a master’s degree in sport venue and event management.

Students fundraise for Japan

After an 8.9-magnitude earthquake and consequent tsunami hit Japan, SU reached out to its 58 international students from Japan on campus and students began fundraisers for the country’s relief efforts.

The Japanese Student Association set up collection boxes around campus and sent proceeds to the Consulate General of Japan in New York. JSA raised more than $7,500 toward Japan relief efforts by March 31.

In addition, students in the School of Architecture organized a paper crane project in hopes of raising $14,000. Each paper crane represented $2 that went toward the relief efforts. By the end of April, $5,000 was raised.

Student organizations around campus supported the project, including the Japan Club, Asian Students in America, the Chinese Student and Scholar Association, the Korean American Student Association, Global China Connection, Taiwan Connection and the Hong Kong Cultural Organization.

Greek and professional organizations and interest clubs also participated in the fundraiser.

Hillel at SU celebrates 60th anniversary

Hillel at SU celebrated its 60th anniversary on campus with a concert featuring DJ Diplo and openers Rye Rye and The Postelles.

In spring 2010, Hillel requested funding from Student Association for the 60th anniversary concert, but the organization was denied $77,000 because SA does not typically give more than $70,000. Hillel was denied funding for a second time during appeals, and a third time in the fall semester.

After Michael Weiss, former Hillel president, attended a roundtable discussion with Chancellor Nancy Cantor, Thomas Wolfe, the dean of student affairs, and several student leaders on campus, Cantor funded Hillel for the concert with $35,000. Hillel also received $15,000 from Bandersnatch, a subdivision of University Union, and $5,000 from co-curricular funding.

The concert marked the first Hillel and UU collaboration.

Hillel first came to SU in response to the university’s growing Jewish population. For the first 53 years at SU, Hillel was located in the basement of Hendricks Chapel and moved to the Winnick Center for Jewish Life in 2003.