Sports

WLAX : SU takes advantage of still-developing Cincinnati program

It took Cincinnati 23 minutes to record its first save Saturday.

Syracuse attack Alyssa Murray crossed over a Bearcat defender about 15 feet out from the goal. She switched the ball to her right side and lobbed a pass in front of the net. It landed squarely and softly within Cincinnati goaltender Jen Walsh’s grasp, and the Bearcats had their first official save.

But Cincinnati soon turned the ball over. Then the Bearcats committed a foul. Sarah Holden converted a free position, and the Orange pulled ahead by 10 goals. Much was the story for Cincinnati Saturday.

‘We’ve had pretty good success against them,’ SU head coach Gary Gait said. ‘I guess every team in the Big East has. You know, it’s tough. They’re a growing program, a Midwest team, and they’re going to get better.’

By the conclusion of the Orange’s 20-3 thrashing of the Bearcats, it was evident how far apart the two programs stand. Dating back to the start of the 2010 season, the Bearcats are without a win in 15 consecutive conference games. In that same period, Syracuse is 11-3. The 20 goals Syracuse scored Saturday were a season-high. But for Cincinnati, it marked the seventh time in the last nine games that it has allowed at least 15.

Syracuse scored nine goals in the first 14 minutes Saturday. Cincinnati finished with nine shots for the game.

‘It’s always nice to come out with a win when we have a senior game,’ senior Catherine Rodriguez said. ‘But it’s also great that we had some seniors that don’t normally start get some starts on the field there and also getting our subs in. That’s our job to try and get up early so we can get some of our other players a chance.’

Every SU player who dressed for the game saw action in the contest, which was the Orange’s final Big East home game this season. All three goaltenders saw at least 10 minutes on the field. And 13 different players scored — including the first of the season for sophomores Tori Praino and Caz-Marie Norwich and junior Heather Wentz. Sophomore Trenna Hill netted a hat trick.

The highlight of the game came when Taylor Nims, another SU reserve that broke out Saturday, scored her first goal on a behind-the-back shot around the right post with 12:27 to play in the second half.

‘They are going to be the ones that are stepping up in the upcoming year,’ goaltender Liz Hogan said. ‘It’s good for our starters, but it’s also great for our younger players to get that experience.’

On Senior Day, SU played its most complete game of the season. But the Orange was also playing its weakest opponent of the season.

‘I know they have a lot of injuries right now,’ Gait said. ‘Knowing their coach and knowing their program, they’re battling the injury bug and it showed a little bit today. I’m just proud of our team for not playing down and staying focused.’

With two conference games remaining for the Orange, Syracuse is looking to improve its seed for a very important Big East tournament next week. With just one regular-season conference game remaining for the Bearcats, there is but one final chance to capture the essential and elusive victory that it has been staring down for nearly two years.

Syracuse’s fifth season as a program featured a team that lost only six games and earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament in 2002. Although Cincinnati isn’t quite there yet in its fifth year, Gait knows what goes into establishing and growing a program.

‘We have a ways to go ourselves, you know?’ Gait said. ‘This has been a tough, growing year for us. Relying a lot on a few seniors and a bunch of young midfielders. It’s been a growing year for us as well. We certainly know how they feel.’