Orange Pulse Dance Troupe to hold 8th annual showcase

Victoria Birsen always wanted to dance on stage. Growing up, Birsen didn’t take any dance classes, but as a student at Syracuse University, her dancing dreams lingered on.

This past fall, the undeclared sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences followed her friend to Orange Pulse Dance Troupe’s rehearsal and found a place where she could pursue her childhood dancing aspirations.

This year, she’s one of 125 members who will perform in the troupe’s eighth annual charity showcase.

Called Jock Jams, the event will take place Thursday in Goldstein Auditorium at 8 p.m.

In previous years, Orange Pulse Dance Troupe was not big enough to host a showcase with only the dancers from its group. Up until last year, the team invited dancers from SU’s other dance organizations, including DanceWorks and the Black Reign Step Team, to participate in its showcase to help fill it out.

But this year’s showcase, featuring just the troupe’s members, will celebrate the group’s growth. The theme of this year’s performance is ‘Get Pumped Up,’ reflecting a sporty, athletic spirit,said Mariel Stein,the troupe’s president.

‘We really want to get you pumped up,’ said Stein, a senior psychology and policy studies major. ‘Some songs will go along with that theme throughout the show to carry it on.’

The troupe members created a theme because they wanted a bigger turnout. The troupe’s public relations personal co-chair, Krissie Oja, said she hopes the event will generate even more interest in the group. Last year, 600 people attended the event. This year’s goal is 700, said Oja, a junior hospitality management major.

The show will raise money for the Wacheva Cultural Arts Dance Studio in Syracuse. Wacheva emailed the troupe this past summer and asked for its help. The previous building Wacheva and Parents Promoting Dance, a Syracuse dance organization promoting self-esteem though art, were housed in was shut down by eminent domain, a state action in which government seizes private property.

The two dance companies moved to a run-down building at 117 Harvard Place. It was transformed into a dance studio to serve children and adult dancers.

After seeing the before and after photos of the space, Ashley Maines, Orange Pulse’s philanthropic chair, decided the troupe would help out. All proceeds from Jock Jams will go toward aiding Wacheva in maintaining the new studio.

‘I chose them because we both share a love of dance. I wanted to allow for their studio to grow as Orange Pulse has grown,’ said Maines, a senior child and family studies and political science major.

The dance troupe is not just for lifelong dancers. About 30 to 40 percent of inducted members are beginners. Dancers participate in up to five different classes, and classes are classified through level and style. The membership of the group has grown in the past years. Last year, the group had just 93 dancers.

‘We are a dance troupe that welcomes all dancers,’ Maines said.

The dancers practice the routine, which features hip-hop, jazz, contemporary and tap,at least twice during rehearsal. Orange Pulse’s choreographers also upload YouTube videos of their dances for members to practice routines at home.

Birsen, the undeclared sophomore in Arts and Sciences, has dedicated her free time to practicing for the showcase.

‘It’s hard work, but every time I get up and do one of the dances, even during practice,’ she said. ‘And even if the choreographers are drilling us every time, I always have fun.’