Skrillex concert shows dubsteps rising popularity

While playing at Syracuse University fraternities and house parties,the sophomore illustrative photography major noticed the growing positive response to the progressive blend of dubstep and house music.

So he wasn’t surprised that tickets to see Skrillex, a Los Angeles house and dubstep musician, sold out before he could nab one.

Performing at the Westcott Theater this Friday, Skrillex will bring the latest of the house and dubstep genre to Syracuse, said Dan Mastronardi, a promoter at Hollerback Productions who booked Skrillex due to the increasing popularity of his type of music.

‘Skrillex is hot right now. At the Westcott, that’s what we do:book new and up-and-coming artists,’ he said. ‘The show sold out in less than a month.’

Taking on the name Skrillex, Sonny Moore, former frontman of the post-hardcore band From First to Last, has shifted his focus to the electronic wave scene that’s becoming more accessible and mainstream. Moore has been fusing house and dubstep genres together since 2008.

Sophomore biology major Ryan Boniello, a dubstep creator and enthusiast, described the transformation from older European dubstep to the newer, more progressive beats.

‘The original dubstep was smooth, clean — consistent wobbly bass over glitchy drum beats, and that was considered the most recognizable characteristic of that era,’ Boniello said. ‘But only when the crazy, overwhelming, distorted wobble bass and glitchy drums with house influence came to the scene did it become mainstream.’

Babcock, also a contributing photographer for The Daily Orange, said he acknowledges the genre’s growing popularity.

‘I like dubstep, but I don’t love it. I’m a bigger fan of French House and Nu-Disco. I see dubstep as the hardcore music of the electronic world,’ he said.

Many would agree with Babcock that new dubstep is becoming more popular. Devon James Stewart, a senior film major, started DJing on campus three years ago under the name Chemicals of Creation with his right-hand man Jon Kunz, a junior computer art major.

Stewart said students on campus like to hear typical electro-house mixes with popular songs, but dubstep is evolving from the relaxing mellow jams to something much harder when fused with house music. Devon called this phenomenon the ‘evolution of ‘brostep.”

‘The mixing of styles shows the versatility of someone like Skrillex. I have no choice but to respect someone with talent like that,’ he said.

Skrillex’s appearance represents a new wave of electronic music that has been infiltrating the lives of teens and students across the United States. Though the concert at the Westcott sold out quickly, many students hold a certain bias against dubstep — a preconceived notion that all dub music is hardcore and from England.

Sophomore television, radio and film major Gautam Badgujar said the hardcore persistent wobbles of European dubstep made him feel like he was being brainwashed at times. But when fused with house music, he said, it’s almost impossible not to dance to it.

Though Badgujar may not love all that dubstep has to offer, Rusty Decker, a sophomore music industry major, said he enjoys most electronic music. He bought his ticket the first week they went on sale and cannot wait for the night of the show.

Skrillex’s music and upcoming performance represent the evolution of the music students listen to every day. Though dubstep has mixed reviews, it’s almost impossible to walk into a fraternity house on campus and not hear the weebles, wobbles and womps at one point in the evening. The one-man band’s sold-out concert infers one thing — dubstep has a grip on the local music scene.