Construction company unveils plans for student apartment complex

Construction for the student apartment complex announced in the fall is expected to begin during the summer.

Syracuse University has selected Education Reality Trust Inc., formally known as Allen and O’Hara Development Co., to develop, own and manage Campus West Apartments, the housing unit intended for College of Law students, graduate students and upperclassmen, according to a Feb. 22 EDR press release.

‘We know there is an ongoing need for housing options for law and graduate students,’ said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, in an e-mail. 

The complex will have a total of five floors, four of which will be residential floors with 312 beds in 191 studios and one-, two- and four-bedroom units. The ground floor will include a combined coffee shop and convenience store; a clubhouse with a fitness center, computer lab and business center; and a Department of Public Safety office, according to the release.

Construction is expected to begin this summer, but the EDR team is still seeking local government approval, according to the release. The expected completion date for Campus West is summer 2012.

Campus West will be located near the Carrier Dome, two blocks from the College of Law and one block from Dineen Hall, the College of Law building that will be constructed in the Raynor parking lot, according to the release. 

‘We believe this project will very much compliment the new Dineen law school building,’ Quinn said.

EDR will fund the project with its On-Campus Equity plan. This plan allows universities to use EDR’s equity and financial stability to fund the project. This will allow SU to avoid debt and use its funds for other campus initiatives, according to the EDR website.

EDR was chosen for the West Campus project due to its history with the university, said Lou Marcoccia, SU’s executive vice president and chief executive officer, in the release. It is the same company that built University Village Apartments, and it is also working with Hueber-Breuer Construction Co. Inc. to construct Centennial Hall, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s first residence hall.