Culture

SU ranks 54th in Schick clean-shaven study

Just in time for No Shave November, the results from the First Annual Schick Hydro Hairiest Colleges Study ranked Syracuse University the 54th most clean-shaven college in America.

SU comes in just six spots away from the bottom with only 42.5 percent of SU males sporting a bare-faced look. The study notes that liberal arts colleges and universities tend to have male students who shave less overall.

Bert Sperling, president of the research firm Sperling’s Best Places, conducted the survey for Schick. He said research was done over a two- to three-hour period by a hired street team. The team was then instructed to observe high-traffic areas on college campuses, such as the university’s Quad. The team was told to avoid athletic fields where males were most likely to be clean shaven. Parts of the street team interviewed 50 males on each of the campuses to find out how frequently they shaved.

‘Clean shaven was considered no mustache or beard, but the ‘Miami Vice’ scruff was incorporated into that look,’ Sperling said. Because the researchers were observing from a distance and not up close, light scruff or one- or two-day growth was still considered clean shaven.

The study then broke down the results to say that schools heavy on sciences or engineering and technology sported a 79 percent clean-shaven look.

Joe Peloquin, a senior computer engineering major currently applying for engineering jobs after graduation, said a little scruff is OK as long as the person is put together.

However, Bo Attley, a freshman mechanical engineering major, said that when he eventually has to apply for a job, he would rather sport a clean-shaven look. He said he currently doesn’t have time to shave, which he said must be done five to six times a week.

The study reports men are most likely not to shave because of irritation, but Peloquin said he shaves every two to three days because his face would feel itchy otherwise.

The study also showed that schools in the northeast are scruffier than schools in the south. Texas Tech ranks No. 1 in the study at 98 percent clean shaven. The next two top schools are located in the south as well: James Madison University in Virginia and University of Virginia. Rutgers and Harvard are at the bottom of the list, coming in with a shaving score of 29 percent.

Students who shave more are more likely to attract members of the opposite sex, according to the survey.

‘I believe that clean-shaven men demonstrate characteristics of discipline, attentiveness and responsibility that I hope girls are attracted to,’ said Gary Kai-Yi Ng, a sophomore international relations major. ‘Plus keeping a clean-shaven face makes me feel sharp, presentable and prepared for the day ahead.’

Liz Duan, a freshman art history major, said ‘the hipster trend might be accountable for the artsy scruff look that is at its peak right now and would be responsible for beards becoming more popular.’

SU students disagreed with the ranking and thought males tend to prefer a clean-shaven look.

‘Thinking back to my freshman dorm, no one had a beard,’ Peloquin said. ‘Even today I’m under the impression that 60 to 80 percent of SU males sport a clean-shaven look.’