Sports

In past 2 years, Wisconsin-Whitewater winningest team in NCAA

Lance Leipold’s first-floor office boasts a great view. From there, he sees the trees that surround the stadium. The northern hill that fans packed this season for an attendance record. And he can see the field where the Warhawks continue to win.

In fact, Whitewater provides a lesson in contradictions. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater football team — the team ecstatic with 12,000 fans, the team unlikely to yield any professional prospects — has won more games than any other NCAA football team in the past two seasons. Going into its final regular season game Saturday against UW-La Crosse, the Warhawks ride a 24-game winning streak.

‘We’re just trying to keep it going. I don’t think people have expected us to maintain the way we have,’ Leipold said.

Over those 24 games, Whitewater outscored opponents 1,041 to 243, won the Division III national championship and left behind a story after a game.

From the win streak, Leipold, a Whitewater alum who grew up 15 minutes from campus, remembers Oct. 9 most. Whitewater played UW-Stout that day. Before the game, officials told Leipold to expect a large fan turnout. The school hosted its Family Day, and it sold more ticket packages than expected.

Leipold and his team rolled over the Blue Devils, 30-7. Quarterback Matt Blanchard went 22-for-30, with 213 yards and two touchdowns. Leipold remembers the game, yes, but he remembers looking around the stadium and the feeling of surprise more. Fans plugged every available hole. Some sought refuge and took seats on the northern hill overlooking the stadium. Whitewater set an attendance record that day, registering 12,189 fans. All in all, a pretty neat deal, Leipold thought.

‘Sometimes you’re kind of hovering in obscurity, and then you look up and see the stadium filled,’ Leipold said.

Blanchard, the quarterback, found that game to be a unique experience.

‘It’s always good to have that kind of a crowd, especially for this level,’ he said.

But Blanchard remembers the 2009 national championship more. At that time, Blanchard played on specials teams, in coverage packages. The experience felt right, he said.

‘Just being there under the lights. It was a great time,’ he said.

Blanchard was the backup quarterback then and spent the season learning. Jeff Donovan played as the starting quarterback that year. Donovan threw for 323 yards and two touchdowns in the game. Blanchard feels that a lot of his success came from watching Donovan.

‘He and I talk often. I learned a lot from him, and we learned a lot from each other,’ he said.

In that game, each series felt like a roller coaster, a new adventure, Blanchard said. Eventually Whitewater beat Mount Union 38-28.

‘We kept so even keel, and we managed to push through and win it,’ Blanchard said. ‘I think that game gave us a lot of confidence for the future.’

With the playoffs beginning in two weeks and a spot already clinched, Whitewater works to establish a more permanent place in history. Or as head coach Leipold put it, ‘For us not to be a single one-time flash in the pan.’

The team sticks to light-contact practices, with full-pad practices Tuesday and Wednesday. A team movie Friday. And then to the game Saturday.

Leipold admits he wishes he had more time to enjoy the experience.

‘I don’t get to enjoy it,’ he said. ‘Probably not as much as I should.’

Syracuse at Rutgers

Prediction: Syracuse 20, Rutgers 17

This New York-New Jersey rivalry will be for bragging rights and, for some, a bowl bid. Led by the running of Delone Carter, the Orange narrowly escape New Jersey.

No. 17 Mississippi State at No. 11 Alabama

Prediction: Alabama 24, Mississippi 14

How far can Alabama slide in the national rankings? Look for the Crimson Tide to increase momentum going into bowl season with a win over Mississippi State.

No. 22 South Carolina at No. 24 Florida

Prediction: Florida 30, South Carolina 17

Florida has scored 89 points in its past two games. Although the success comes from a bizarre rag-tag team of Gator quarterbacks, expect the three quarterbacks to win here, too.

No. 16 Virginia Tech at North Carolina

Prediction: Virginia Tech 20, North Carolina 10

Despite losing running back David Wilson to mononucleosis, the Hokies will pull this one out in North Carolina. Virginia Tech is just on too much of a roll.

No. 23 Texas A&M at Baylor

Prediction: Baylor 17, Texas A&M 3

In a conference showdown, Texas A&M won’t be able to slow down a potent Baylor offense, led by Robert Griffin III, who is leading the conference in total offense per game.

No. 13 Iowa at Northwestern

Prediction: Iowa 24, Northwestern 10

Despite Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald’s best efforts, Iowa will stay on top in this game. The Hawkeyes have just too much talent on both sides of the ball.