After spinal injury to Norton, Luther College community bonds

The play happened so fast, many of Chris Norton’s teammates missed it. It started when Norton, a freshman special teams player, took the field for a kickoff. He lined up while his team, Division III Luther College, was losing to Central College. The play ended with a call for an ambulance and Norton staying on the field.

Jordan Grimm, a senior and the Norse’s linebacker and placekicker, didn’t even notice Norton was down at first. But then to Grimm, it quickly became clear that something felt wrong. It took a long time to get Norton off the field. After that, the team felt distracted, Grimm said.

‘It was kind of just really tough,’ Grimm said. ‘We were supposed to go out and play right after that. It kind of went downhill from there.’

Luther lost that Oct. 16 game to No. 15 Central, 45-26. The ambulance that carried Norton went to Decorah Medical Center in Decorah, Iowa. Doctors diagnosed him with a neck and spinal cord injury. Because of the injury’s severity, a helicopter took Norton to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where he required a three-hour surgery.

Since Norton’s injury, the team and local community around Luther have responded to his loss, as Norton began the road to recovery. Right after the game, head coach Mike Durnin addressed the team. He told them the news and told them they would have to keep going.

‘Keep your prayers and thoughts with Chris and his family,’ Durnin told the team.

In the weeks that followed, a local Decorah church held a service for Norton. Another service took place in his hometown. Luther established a fund for parents to donate to his recovery fund.

‘This has definitely been a case of the greatest of human nature standing up and supporting each other,’ Durnin said this week.

As the Luther community tried to rally, so did Norton, with the help of a few others. Durnin and his wife went to the Mayo Clinic, as did Luther President Richard Torgerson and his wife. When Norton’s family finally arrived, they spotted a man wearing Luther gear, who was neither Durnin nor Torgerson. Just a Luther alumnus who went to the Oct. 16 game, saw Norton’s injury and wanted to offer his family a place to stay.

A neurosurgeon called the Norton family into a small, dim room and told them to expect a long surgery, probably eight to 10 hours, said Norton’s sister, Alex.

‘The other thing is, do not expect he will have any movement from the neck down,’ the surgeon told the family, Alex said.

The surgery took just three hours. After that, Alex began a blog about him and his road to recovery. She linked a donation fund to the blog so readers could contribute after they read about Norton.

‘It was a way everyone could see the information,’ she said. ‘That day of the accident and the day after, we couldn’t keep up. We were getting phone calls, texts. It was overwhelming. We kind of set up the site so people could keep up.’

Soon after the site went live, Norton wiggled his shoulders.

As the team moves forward, the squad continues to feel Norton’s spirit. The team receives updates on his condition often. Luther (4-4) will face two more opponents before the end of the season. And while keeping the game in perspective, Luther’s players want to win for Norton.  

‘We’ve got a renewed sense of passion for the game, passion for life, knowing that every play could be our last,’ Grimm said. ‘Every day could be our last, you never know what life is going to throw at you.’

Grimm admits he thinks about Norton’s accident often. He tries to put it out of his mind when he approaches a kickoff.

‘It’s scary, it’s definitely scary,’ Grimm said.

He tells himself that the odds are too small. That Norton just suffered a strike of bad luck.

‘It’s given us inspiration to play for Chris and to give yourself to something bigger than yourself,’ Grimm said.

As for Norton, he continues to defy the first prognosis. Sensation continues to return to his body. Hopefully he can make a recovery and return to campus as a student next semester, his sister said.

Each day, Norton undergoes physical therapy. His father has taken over blogging duties. On Tuesday, while in a wheelchair, therapists attached Chris’ legs to a stationary bike. The bike is powered by electricity and the motion helps rebuild Norton’s leg muscles.

His father wrote, ‘I know the look he had on his face, it was his game face. He was ready to go.’

Games of the Week

Louisville at Syracuse

Prediction: Syracuse 30, Louisville 24

Last time the Cardinals came to the Carrier Dome in 2008, Syracuse came out on top 28-21. With the Orange winning five of its last six games, this year should be much the same. Syracuse gets its seventh win of the season and becomes bowl-eligible.

No. 4 TCU at No. 6 Utah

Prediction: Utah 32, TCU 28

In the week’s best matchup, the unbeaten Horned Frogs will journey to Salt Lake City to take on the unbeaten Utes. Last season, the Frogs demolished Utah 55-28. But the Frogs have lost the last two games at Salt Lake City. Look for Utah to continue the trend this week.

No. 13 Arizona at No. 10 Stanford

Prediction: Stanford 20, Arizona 17

Look for offense to topple defense. Stanford brings in a great offensive package, led by quarterback Andrew Luck. The Wildcats boast a No. 10-ranked defense, but luck should hold out for Stanford.

No. 5 Alabama at No. 12 LSU

Prediction: Alabama 30, LSU 14

Alabama rules over this series, 45-23-5. Expect that again this week. Alabama brings quarterback Greg McElroy to try and beat the Tigers. Even at home, LSU will not last past the Tide.

No. 17 Arkansas at No. 18 South Carolina

Prediction: South Carolina 23, Arkansas 14

In a battle of conference foes, the Gamecocks will come out best in this fight. South Carolina’s road ahead will start at home against the Razorbacks.