Two Door Cinema Club to headline second installment of Bandersnatch Music Series

IF YOU ‘SNATCH:

What: Two Door Cinema Club

Where: Schine Underground

When: Oct. 19, 8 p.m.

How much: $7, $5 for students with valid SU/ESF ID

Indie rockers Two Door Cinema Club will headline the second show in this year’s Bandersnatch Music Series, University Union announced Monday.

The concert will be held on Oct. 19 in Schine Underground at 8 p.m., with doors opening at 7:30 p.m. Tickets go on sale Tuesday at the Schine Box Office. Fans won’t have to wait long between performances, with Two Door Cinema Club playing only a week after Bandersnatch’s first concert, headlined by DJ Steve Aoki.

UU projects they will sell between 300 and 325 tickets for the event, said Trevor Elwell, co-president of Bandersnatch. Tickets will be $5 for Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, but others will be charged $7.

Having both Bandersnatch concerts so close together was not necessarily planned, Elwell said. The dates were chosen based on openings on the performers’ touring schedules.

Still under America’s radar, Two Door Cinema Club, an indie rock band with an electric flair, hails from Ireland. Elwell said UU wanted to bring them to SU because of their blossoming stateside success.

‘We’re bringing them here mostly because they’ve been doing really well in Europe and places like that,’ said Elwell, a senior psychology major in the Bandier Program for Music and Entertainment Industries. ‘We wanted to bring them and get them some exposure in the U.S. We thought that they’d get a good audience here.’

The band released its first studio album, ‘Tourist History,’ in the U.S. this past April. Two Door Cinema Club played its single, ‘I Can Talk,’ on ABC’s ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ in May 2010.

Tagging along with Two Door Cinema Club are GROUPLOVE and Penguin Prison. Both opening groups are currently touring with the headliner, Elwell said.

DJ Aoki, who will be the first performance in the Bandersnatch Series, will perform Oct. 11 at 8 p.m., also at Schine Underground.

UU is currently holding auditions for a student disc jockey to open for Aoki. Those who deem themselves worthy enough must send in a mix or a set of their work as MP3 files. Determining the contestant’s fates with a single click, students can then vote on the set they like the most on suaokiopener.com, Elwell said. Voting for the entrants starts Oct. 1 and goes until Oct 6. The three finalists with the most votes will each perform a set before the concert. The winner will be announced on the day of the show, according to a UU press release.

Elwell believes having a European band come to SU will not hinder audience numbers in the least.

‘You can’t really go wrong with this kind of band,’ he said. ‘I hope that those that do know the band will get tickets, and those that do not know the band will be intrigued.’