University Union : Lupe Fiasco to headline Juice Jam

IF YOU GO

What: Juice Jam

Where: Skytop Field

When: Sept. 12, Noon

How much: $10

Hip-Hop artist Lupe Fiasco, along with synthetic pop bands Passion Pit and Super Mash Bros., will headline University Union’s seventh annual Juice Jam Festival on Sept. 12.

‘They are very credible artists, and they’re all very popular,’ said Harry Roberts, director of UU concerts and a junior in the Bandier Program for Music and the Entertainment Industries. ‘They appeal to a lot of different groups.’

The music festival will begin noon at Skytop Field on South Campus.

Roberts said the artists were chosen based on a heavy amount of student input. UU asked students who they wanted at Juice Jam on its Facebook page this June and also released a separate survey asking the same question.

Reaching out to the student community gave UU a clear sense of what genres students enjoyed and which artists were in demand, he said.

‘We achieved our goal of appealing to a lot of different groups,’ Roberts said.

The concert will kick off with student band Mouth’s Cradle, who will carry the first set. Super Mash Bros. will take the stage afterward, followed by Passion Pit.

Lupe Fiasco, who is known for his single ‘Superstar,’ will be the final artist to perform.

Beyond music, this year’s Juice Jam will also feature a mechanical bull and an inflatable obstacle course.

Tickets are available online and at the Schine Box Office and cost $10 with a valid Syracuse University or State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry student ID.

Roberts said he thinks this year’s Juice Jam will be better than those of previous years. By showcasing artists with unique yet complimentary styles, he said he believes this year’s acts will have a broader appeal than previous artists like Girl Talk in 2009 and Ra Ra Riot in 2008.

‘[They] bring a live exciting element to the show,’ Roberts said.  ‘And I think that’s something we haven’t brought to Juice Jam before.’

A previous version of this article appeared on dailyorange.com on Aug. 25, 2010