Pulp

People to meet: The most interesting conversations you aren’t having on and off campus

It’s amazing what you can learn about someone in ten minutes. It could be a parking attendant’s hidden musical talent or the motherly knowledge of a few Dunkin’ Donuts employees. Faces of Syracuse University trademarks like head basketball coach Jim Boeheim and Chancellor Nancy Cantor are seen so frequently that they are already etched into your mind. But whether it’s on the way to Starbucks to get your caffeine fix or a bus ride to South Campus, it’s the lesser-known people that give depth to the SU experience. Here are some people around campus worth your time and attention.

‘THE NICE GUY’ – JOE SHANLEY

Having a friend in the force can come in handy. Quick to help students in any way he can, Department of Public Safety Corporal Joe Shanley feels more like pal than a policeman.

‘I was walking alone one night, and he gave me a ride home one time and told me that his purpose isn’t to get students in trouble, it’s to keep them safe,’ said Abbey Turtinen, a junior international relations major. ‘He even gave me his phone number in case I was in trouble.’

Shanley is just as concerned about students as their teary-eyed parents who just watched them jump from the nest. An officer with a heart of gold, Shanley said he wants what is best for everybody.

‘My daughter is a sophomore (at SU), and I have the same concern for my kid that I do for every one of you (students),’ he said.

‘THE COMEDIAN’ – RODNEY TRASK

Every student needs a little ‘wiggle and giggle’ to get the day started. Should you be lucky enough to get a lift across campus with Centro bus driver Rodney Trask, you just might hear one of his quirky catchphrases. Instead of finding new places to stare or faking a text conversation, take a second to talk to Trask. Maybe come up with your own unique greeting. Either way, his automotive antics are sure to make any ride interesting.

‘THE MOTHER FIGURES’ – DUNKIN’ DONUTS Employees in Schine Student Center

Coffee, egg sandwiches and the occasional piece of maternal advice are all served at the Dunkin’ Donuts in the Schine Student Center. With nearly 60 years of food services employment between them, Kathy Stenner, Debbie LeClair and Marybeth Stiles know their students just as well as they know the Dunkin’ Donuts menu.

‘A lot of kids are really friendly. They joke around and we remember them. And then when they graduate they bring their parents over and introduce them to us, which is really nice,’ Stiles said.

Whatever you drop by for, talk about something beyond how much cream and sugar you want in your coffee. Some students even ask for quick tips, like how to beat a cold. The ladies will have a helping hand for just about anything.

‘THE HISTORIAN’ – GERTIS MCDOWELL

Rattling a tin can full of coins while greeting the passersby, Gertis McDowell is as much a part of Marshall Street experience as Jimmy John’s and Starbucks.

‘I grew up in Syracuse, and he’s been there for as long as I can consciously remember,’ said Erin McGuinness, a second year law student.

McDowell has seen his fair share of students walk by his corner, located at Marshall Street and University Avenue, and can easily pick out the freshman.

‘You see the freshmen, they almost never stop. They just walk on by, wrapped up in what they’re doing,’ McDowell said. ‘Then they get a bit older, maybe throw me a couple coins and stop and talk.’

It might cost you a few cents, but chatting with McDowell will be the most interesting conversation you’ll have all day.

‘THE LIGHTHOUSE’ -DAVE GURSKY

Dave Gursky considers his gate near Sadler Hall a lighthouse, and himself the lighthouse keeper.

‘The cars are the little boats, and I’m just doing what I can to guide them to where they need to be,’ Gursky said.

Gursky was born just three stoplights away from his busy post on Irving Avenue and has been with SU for 20 years. He sees hundreds of cars a day, some with a mission of passing through campus undeterred and others in need of directions. Speaking with students is a tough balance between following rules, being quick and making connections, Gursky said.

If you want to drive through campus, you’ll have to get his permission first. But if you approach him politely, he just might let you pass by.