MTV ‘Cribs’ styled DPS video fails to catch student eye

The video, loosely based off of the MTV show ‘Cribs,’ is the work of Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety and the SU Video Production Unit. It instructs students on the safety issues that are geared toward people living on South Campus.

It seems, however, that the connection hasn’t been made. The video was downloaded onto YouTube Aug. 6, according to the clip’s page. In a month, the video has only had 624 hits since Tuesday night.

The new video gives tips on how to be an ideal resident of South Campus. Playing loud polka is frowned upon. Taking a spatula to your smoke alarm probably isn’t the best idea. And if you didn’t lock your door before departing for spring break, you might just come home to an empty pad.

Sam Goldenberg starred in the video as the nonchalant, naive apartment dweller. The television, radio and film alumnus said he is not surprised by the video’s lack of success.

‘I don’t think kids are going to log on to YouTube to watch this,’ he said. ‘How are you gonna get the word out? What, put flyers on campus to see a video on safety? I don’t honestly know how the hell they’re going to get an audience.’

Goldenberg said he would have taken the concept in a completely different and extreme direction, complete with fiery explosions and holes blown out in the apartment walls via shotguns.

‘I think photos speak louder than words. A still (photograph) of a clearly vandalized apartment with a big hole shattered through it and cables ripped out of the wall. And then a single line of text that says something like, ‘Told you so.”

Posters of an overexaggerated break-in would bring the point home, he said. He feels that a single picture on a flyer plastered all over campus would stick better in a student’s mind than a video.

Some current students think the effort DPS is making with new technology is nice, but doesn’t necessarily translate.

Shalisa Gunter, a sophomore psychology and pre-med major who lives in a South Campus apartment, said the DPS flyers and handouts highlighting safety issues are not as exciting as a video, but both of them are being passed by the wayside.

‘They do a lot with the handouts and stuff, but people don’t usually read them,’ she said. ‘And I think doing the video is a good idea, but it’s kind of a waste if no one knows about it.’

The ‘Cribs’ twist was done to get more attention to the video and its important messages, Callisto said.

‘We’re always trying to find a way to capture attention. When our crime prevention officers or a student logs on to our website or goes on YouTube to watch the video, it will make a connection,’ he said.

However, Callisto admitted DPS has not done any direct advertising for the video. He said SU’s Office of Residence Life has several copies of the video, but he doesn’t know exactly what the office is doing with them. The DPS website also has a link to the video in a news release.

Some students say the modern appeal of the ‘Cribs’ parody is clever and a good reason to advertise to college students. 

‘I think it’d be cute,’ said Amanda Temple, a freshman natural history major. ‘I haven’t seen ‘Cribs’ in such a long time. It’d be such a throwback.’

Goldenberg said working on the video was fun, but thinks a video was the wrong medium.

‘When some videos get on YouTube, they get a million hits within a couple hours,’ he said. ‘People go on YouTube to be entertained. I don’t think anyone’s going to go out of their way to watch someone tell them what to do.’