SU sophomore dies in one-car crash on New York state Thruway

A Syracuse University student died Thursday after spending more than a day in the hospital following a one-car crash on the New York state Thruway, said Sgt. Lori Lampson of the New York state police.

Richard Carlston, a rising sophomore political science major, died of head and internal injuries after losing control of his vehicle while changing lanes on the Thruway on Tuesday, Lamspon said.

Carlston was driving east on the Thruway in Tyre, Seneca County, when he lost control at approximately 1:50 p.m., Lampson said. As he was driving to the left passing lane, he drifted into the north shoulder. To get out of the north shoulder, he over-corrected, swerved and went into the south shoulder, where the car rolled over, Lampson said.

When the 2001 four-door Hyundai sedan overturned, Carlston, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown from the vehicle. The lone passenger, Justin Wolf, 19, of Fairport, N.Y., was wearing a seatbelt and was not ejected.

Carlston was unconscious and severely bleeding at the scene of the accident and was taken by helicopter to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.Y., where he later died.

Wolf suffered no injuries.

The vehicle may have lost control due to Carlston driving at an unsafe speed, Lampson said. The speed limit on the Thurway is 65 miles per hour, but Lampson did not know what speed Carlston was going. Alcohol was not involved, she said.

Carlston was an active member of the SU Men’s Club Hockey Team, according to an e-mail sent to the university community Thursday morning.

SU will provide counseling services, despite the university not being in session, said Thomas Wolfe, senior vice president and dean of student affairs. The Counseling Center, Hendricks Chapel and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program are available to anyone who needs support.

A campus memorial is being planned and further details will be announced once plans are finalized, Wolfe said.