Sports

DePetris’ infectious energy carries Orange into matchup with local rival

Jackie DePetris was on a mission. She was moving from one teammate to another, asking, ‘Are you coming?’ ‘Are you coming?’ And every one of her teammates nodded with enthusiasm.

‘Yes, I am!’    

The senior attack and co-captain was in charge of a talent show for SU athletes later that evening and insisted that her entire team come and support the cause. Right in the midst of the season, it is unlikely that these players wanted to spend their free evening sitting in Goldstein Auditorium and watching athletes flaunt their unusual abilities.

But the entire team showed up for their captain.

DePetris, one of three captains on No. 10 Syracuse (9-4, 4-1 Big East), will lead her team into Schoellkopf Field in Ithaca, N.Y., on Wednesday to take on Cornell (4-7, 3-3 Ivy League). Though DePetris is by no means the most explosive player on SU, she was voted to be the lone offensive captain by her teammates in the fall. While her quality play makes her a candidate to receive this honor, her eccentric personality and constant drive are what really make DePetris a special teammate.

‘I mean, she’s a great teammate,’ senior midfielder Christina Dove said. ‘She’s always positive, and I think that’s the main component. She’s always upbeat and trying to get everyone fired up, and I think that’s really important in keeping our team together and keeping everyone in good spirits.’

DePetris leads in a way that is consistent with her warm and affable demeanor. Freshman attack Michelle Tumolo said fellow co-captain and junior goalkeeper Liz Hogan is the fieriest of the captains, motivating her team by pumping them up with words of encouragement.

But DePetris has her own style.

The Radnor, Pa., native maintains her composure and remains calm, assuring the players that they have what it takes to succeed.

‘Jackie (DePetris) is one of the most positive people you’ll ever meet,’ senior defender Eileen Finn said. ‘She perks everyone up and always has your back, no matter what.’

Though DePetris has had a very solid career as a member of the Orange, she has seen her ups and downs. Her best season came in her sophomore campaign in 2008. DePetris started 18 of 21 games that season and scored 21 goals.

But last season, her role in the team’s offense dramatically lessened. DePetris didn’t start in any game and only had five goals on the season, a significant drop-off from the year prior.

In her final season, DePetris is starting again for head coach Gary Gait and is producing like she was when she was an underclassman. In 13 games this season, she has amassed 17 goals and two assists while picking up 10 ground balls.

Gait is pleased with DePetris’ return to form from two years ago, but he also acknowledges that it is her dedication off the field that makes her stand out. DePetris usually heads up the numerous community service initiatives in which her team is involved.

Above all, DePetris loves having the opportunity to provide guidance to her younger teammates. She understands the importance of making the less-experienced players feel comfortable.

‘It’s been really exciting,’ DePetris said. ‘It’s fun because we have a lot of freshmen, which means a lot of new faces. And with that there is a lot of teaching. And they teach me because I’m becoming more of a leader in my own way.’

Gait is the first to admit that he is thrilled to have DePetris serving in a leadership position. Not only does he feel that she is an exceptional role model, but he also believes that her ability to communicate with her teammates makes her such a valuable commodity.

‘She’s been through it all, from starting to not starting to starting again,’ Gait said. ‘It’s nice to have somebody on the team that you can talk to who has that experience, that has been around, and is outgoing and willing to help. It makes my job a little easier.’