Sports

Carter’s off-field antics deserve typical Marrone action

In the 16 months since becoming Syracuse’s head football coach, Doug Marrone has made no secrets about his policy regarding discipline. This is a man who has crusaded around town preaching accountability and self-responsibility, and he has quickly proven he is not afraid to live up to his words.

There have been numerous infractions thus far. Marrone suspended five regulars at some point last season for various unspecified reasons. In doing so, Marrone demonstrated he would show little patience or tolerance for any off-field distractions.

The official line for every punishment has been classified under a sweeping and mysterious umbrella known as ‘violation of team rules.’ Marrone has remained committed to keeping discipline an in-house matter, but he has made it clear that he will act harshly and decisively for even minor transgressions.  

Marrone’s hard-lined stance should determine how he handles the ongoing Delone Carter situation. Carter, arguably the team’s best player, was charged with misdemeanor assault last week for allegedly punching another SU student during an on-campus incident in February and was suspended from Saturday’s annual Spring Game.

In store next is a public legal proceeding, which will bring the program more embarrassment and scrutiny.

Marrone said this weekend that Carter — along with two other players — were, ‘as of right now,’ suspended only for the rest of the spring. But if these allegations are true, Marrone’s history suggests Carter’s trouble may be just beginning. Marrone has suspended players for much less.

If convicted, Carter’s actions warrant a suspension of at least three to four games next season. This penalty would be in line with both Marrone’s precedent and the precedent set by other recent legal issues regarding SU athletes. Because Carter has no prior incidents, he should be given an opportunity to return at some point in 2010.  

But that is a privilege Carter will have to prove to Marrone and the university he deserves. Defense attorney George Raus said that Syracuse University has officially suspended Carter from school, barring him from campus. He is now subject to the SU Judicial Review Board, which often acts independently of the legal system.  

Case in point: Men’s basketball player Eric Devendorf was accused of hitting a female student during an on-campus altercation in November 2008. In December, the judicial board issued Devendorf an indefinite suspension from school, lasting at least until the end of the academic year.  

This ruling came after Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick decided not to press criminal charges, citing a lack of evidence. Devendorf’s suspension was reduced on appeal, and he returned to the court after missing just two games.

The judicial board also suspended men’s basketball player Billy Edelin during the 2001-02 academic year after he was accused of sexual assault. He missed what was supposed to be his freshman season. As in Devendorf’s case, the district attorney’s office did not file criminal charges.  

Even if the judicial board reinstates Carter in time for the 2010 football season, Marrone still withholds the right to levee any additional punishment to his standout tailback. Considering his track record, it is reasonable to expect Marrone will do just that.

The severity of Carter’s penalty depends largely on the outcome of the upcoming criminal proceedings. It is crucial to recognize that despite the charges against him, Carter has not been found guilty of a crime. Marrone should wait until the case is resolved before making a final decision about Carter’s future.

But even if Carter is exonerated, he may still be on the hook. It would still be understandable for Marrone to punish him to a lesser extent. Marrone has stressed the importance of image and reputation throughout his time as coach. This incident has already damaged those things, no matter what happens next.   

Another case in point: Marrone suspended Torrey Ball, Andrew Tiller and Antwon Bailey for a game in November after they were in a car accident at 5:30 a.m. on their way home from Turning Stone Resort. Star wide receiver Mike Williams was also in the car, and he left the team soon after the incident. Williams had been suspended for one game for an undisclosed reason earlier in the year. 

Police said the players were not at fault in the accident, and no alcohol was involved. If that warrants a game, an assault charge should garner more than that.

Losing Carter for a significant chunk of the season will be a serious blow to the Orange’s chances of reaching a bowl game for the first time since 2004. Carter rushed for a team-high 1,021 yards and 11 touchdowns last season and was expected to lead an offensive unit that features a new quarterback and a group of inexperienced wide receivers.

Marrone has already shown in his brief tenure that he will suspend any player, regardless of his talent. That is the right approach. No player has been exempt from Marrone’s authority. Carter should be no exception.

Jared Diamond is the sports columnist for The Daily Orange, where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at [email protected].