Culture

Students, alumni celebrate SU’s 140th birthday

With the dining centers decorated and orange streamers and balloons filling the Schine Student Center, Syracuse University celebrated National Orange Day, an observance of the university’s founding on March 24, 1870. Wednesday marked 140 years of SU tradition.

While the entire campus was exploding with orange, Shelly Kruger, a sophomore hospitality management major, said she felt the university could have done a better job incorporating SU’s history into the National Orange Day festivities.

‘They could tell more about it so that we could be more involved,’ Kruger said. ‘I didn’t know about (the) history.’

Noah Silverstein, a freshman communications and rhetorical studies major, suggested setting up activities in more places on campus than just Schine and the Women’s Building, which is where the Traditions Commission and the Alumni Club of Central New York hosted a ‘birthday party’ for SU Wednesday evening.

‘It was just in Schine, where not that many people go every day,’ Silverstein said.

But the National Orange Day celebration engaged students, faculty, staff and alumni in an effort not just on campus but nationwide. Alumni groups in Chicago, Philadelphia, Rochester, N.Y., Washington, D.C., and New Jersey participated in a variety of philanthropy events in their communities. The Army ROTC even donated money to SU’s First Book Program and the United Through Reading Military Program.

The Traditions Commission acknowledged the milestone by giving out free orange and blue cookies, cake and orange punch in Schine Atrium during the day. Students donning orange clothing had the opportunity to enter a drawing in Schine for an SU-themed grand prize.

Kruger forgot to dress in orange before her 8 a.m. class Wednesday, but she went down to Schine to pick up some free prizes anyway.

‘I think students really like free stuff,’ she said. ‘My boyfriend and his friends are leaving class to get cake!’

Orange balloons around the student center were not just decorations — students who popped a balloon received a 10 to 60 percent discount at University Bookstore. While the bookstore did not offer any special National Orange Day T-shirts, NCAA gear filled the store.

‘It’s a great thing that we can be celebrating our school and our team at the same time,’ said Rose Crisalli, the University Bookstore program manager of customer and marketing relations.

Silverstein agreed that the success of SU’s men’s basketball team is a remarkable part of the university community.

‘The whole being No. 1 in the Big East is pretty big,’ he said. ‘We’ve been in March Madness before, but it’s not every year, so that’s pretty cool.’

But students felt in touch with their Orange pride for reasons other than athletics during Wednesday’s festivities.

‘My dad worked here. I’m from the area, so I’ve grown up with the SU community my whole life,’ said Katherine Holgat, a sophomore elementary and special education major.

Students who attended the festivities in Schine and the Women’s Building seemed pleased with their free T-shirts, snacks and appreciation for the Orange. National Orange Day successfully brought together Orange lovers close to campus and those who once called SU home.

‘It’s important because there’s all these people before you that participated in what you’re participating in,’ Kruger said. ‘It’s important to keep tradition going.’