Lacrosse

As Gait’s 1st ‘blue chip’ recruit, Tumolo living up to hype for SU women’s lacrosse

Michelle Tumolo had narrowed her search down to two schools. As one of the top lacrosse recruits in the country, the senior attacker from Clearview Regional (N.J.) High School was deciding between Syracuse and Penn State.

She was looking for a school with a nationally recognized athletic program. Both universities fit that criterion. She wanted a school that was far enough away from her Mullica Hill, N.J., home for privacy but not too far that it was in a new time zone. Again, both universities fit the bill.

But then something hit her. No. 8 Syracuse (3-1) had something to offer her that the Nittany Lions could not.

Gary Gait.

‘I basically looked at SU and said to myself that it would be weird if I gave up this opportunity to play for (Syracuse head coach) Gary Gait.’

Luckily for Gait, Tumolo passed on State College, Pa., and opted for Syracuse. So far this season, the freshman has lived up to the hype that accompanied her.

Through four games, the 5-foot-4 attack is second on the team in points with 21. She has scored six goals and dished out a team-leading 15 assists. And after her first two games at the collegiate level, Tumolo was named Rookie of the Week by WomensLax.com
Not a bad start to a career.

Senior attack Halley Quillinan had the opportunity to play with Tumolo this past summer, and the senior was immediately impressed. Though Quillinan had heard about the kind of player Tumolo was, it wasn’t until she saw her in action that it really sunk in.

‘The minute I saw her play in August I was excited that she was going to be a part of the team,’ Quillinan said. ‘I knew she was going to be a special player, and she’s just scratching the surface of her potential. She’s one of the best attackers in college lacrosse right now, and that’s pretty spectacular considering she’s only a freshman.’

Tumolo’s effect on the Syracuse lacrosse program stretches far beyond her goal and assist statistics. From a long-term perspective, her signing is a part of the direction that Gait hopes his team is heading in.

SU’s legendary head coach has said on numerous occasions that Tumolo was his first blue-chip recruit signee since he returned to Syracuse three years ago. Tumolo was ranked the No. 4 high school prospect by Inside Lacrosse coming out of high school. And he believes that he can continue to build from there.

‘Everybody sets goals, and I have a goal every year to have a Top 10 recruit,’ Gait said. ‘Michelle is the first, and I think our next class certainly has that same level of player coming in. And I’ll look to continue that every year.’

For the time being, however, Tumolo is making her presence felt on the field. As one of the key components to the team’s offense, she bears the responsibility of complementing both Quillinan and senior attack Christina Dove, one of the most successful scorers in the program’s history.

But even with her immediate success, Tumolo remembers why she chose to spend her collegiate career at Syracuse. And she remembers that not just anybody believes that she can get the job done.

One of the all-time greats believes that she can.

‘It’s a really good feeling to hear (Gait) talk about me and have confidence in me,’ Tumolo said. ‘Because I’m only 18 and a freshman, it’s a great feeling to know that he believes in me. I just take it as a compliment and know that I can’t let him down.’