Beer to the bone

Beer may do a body good just as much as milk, according to research published in the February issue of the Science of Food and Agriculture. The research suggests that a mineral found in beer provides similar benefits to bones as milk does.

In a study conducted by food scientists at the University of California, Davis, researchers measured the amount of an element proven to help bone growth in more than 100 commercially sold beers, said Charles Bamforth, lead researcher of the study and professor of brewing science at UC Davis. Bamforth found that beer is a rich source of the element silicon, but the levels differ in how it is brewed.

Silicon has already been proven to help bone density, especially in women with osteoporosis, according to the study.

Bamforth stressed the study was not a clinical trial because it studied only how much silicon is in beer and raw materials, not the actual affect of beer on human bone growth.

Much like how wine has been proven to be beneficial to the heart, Bamforth said beer can now been seen as acceptable to be a daily drink for its health benefits.

‘Regarding health claims, it is now accepted around the world that when taken in moderation, beer is at least as healthful as wine, primarily because it is alcohol that counters the risk of (heart disease), not some magic grape substance,’ Bamforth said.

The amount of silicon in beer depends on ingredients used and the brewing process, he said. The research team concluded that beer made from barley yielded significantly more silicon than beer made from wheat because of the high silicon content found in the barley husk, Bamforth said.

‘We found that beer made from high levels of pale malt and hops as well as vigorous brewhouse operations gave the highest silica levels,’ Bamforth said.

Bamforth attributed the lower levels of silicon in darker beers to the high heat used during the malting process. Additionally, beer made from corn and rice, which is most often used by larger beer manufacturers like Budweiser, has minimal traces of silicon, Bamforth said.

Despite criticisms from those in the medical field who argue that beer consumption results in bone injuries and fractures from falling down when drunk, the study does not imply irresponsible drinking, Bamforth said.

‘I will continue the research program into why beer treated with respect is a worthy component of a healthy lifestyle, as it has been for 8,000 years,’ he said.

But SU student Cassie Clark said she thinks the study might encourage irresponsible drinking.

‘I think people being aware of the study would have an adverse effect because it’s highlighting a single benefit in a vast pool of alcohol-related problems,’ said Clark, a junior psychology major. ‘This would just make people think they are doing their body good.’