Teary-eyed Marrone backs Paulus as quarterback

Doug Marrone became emotional Monday in a passionate defense of quarterback Greg Paulus, who heard boos from the Carrier Dome crowd throughout the second half of Syracuse’s 28-7 loss to Cincinnati Saturday.

Marrone began his weekly press conference, notes in hand, by delivering a nearly three-minute partially prepared oration addressing what happened to his starting quarterback last weekend.

Tears rushed to his eyes as he spoke about ‘one of the greatest people’ he has ever known. Though Marrone said after the game Saturday that he did not hear the boos, his comments Monday acknowledged that they stung.

This came before the Orange’s head coach announced that star wide receiver Mike Williams quit the team earlier in the day.

‘I have never seen an athlete at any level, including the NFL, work as hard mentally and physically as Greg has worked since he joined us at Syracuse,’ Marrone said. ‘What he’s accomplished is extraordinary. Maybe it can’t be fully appreciated because most don’t know just how difficult it is to play quarterback at a Division I program.

‘In the era of video games, virtual reality, it’s easy to believe that throwing a pass, reading a defense, avoiding a sack is as easy as a push of a button that any of us can do. The problem about it is, it’s not that easy. We can’t do that.

‘Despite the turnovers and mistakes Greg’s made, as any quarterback makes, he’s exceeded expectations at any level. Greg is a victim of his own success. We have seen him make great plays and great decisions, and we expect him to do that every time. But football is a team game. People don’t know when an offensive lineman misses a block or a receiver runs the wrong route – they only see the decision that Greg makes.

‘Calling for a backup quarterback, backup pitcher, backup point guard, I understand that’s just a part of sports. But Greg is one of us. He grew up here. He came back to do something that’s never been done before. He’s poured every ounce of his body and soul into that task.

‘It has really been remarkable. If his performance and dedication drop off, then obviously just like every other position, he will not be a starter for our team.’

‘When he’s in the game, it means we believe he gives us the best chance to win. And I truly, truly, truly thank him for being here. I hope my kids grow up to have the courage and determination of a Greg Paulus.’

Marrone’s statement stems back to Saturday, when Paulus received boos each time he took the field in the second half, and backup Ryan Nassib drew loud cheers. Paulus threw an interception in the end zone before halftime – his 11th of the season in just eight games, tied for third most in the nation.

Afterward, Marrone said he was too focused on the game to notice the jeers, but he learned about the fan reaction by speaking to members of the coaching staff about the situation. Marrone tried to call Paulus before addressing the media, but Paulus was meeting with a professor at the time.

The notion of a quarterback controversy began a month ago after the Orange’s loss to South Florida, when Paulus tossed five interceptions. The next week, Marrone benched Paulus in favor of Nassib after another ill-advised pick, and Nassib fired two touchdown passes in the second half.

Marrone has maintained that Paulus remains Syracuse’s starting quarterback, and he did not sway from that stance Monday.

‘Again, its second-hand information for me,’ Marrone said of the fans booing. ‘I don’t know if they felt that way. I really don’t. I just know that it was told to me that this situation went on. I feel like there were people that were not happy with him. I’d rather people point out that if that’s their feeling, point it to me. And love the players that we have on this team.’