Seven students robbed at gunpoint inside South Campus apartment

Two men entered a Small Road apartment Sunday night and robbed seven students inside at gunpoint, said Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto.

No injuries were reported. Police do not believe that the robbery was committed at random.

‘It appears that this was targeted, that they went to this specific residence,’ Callisto said.

Callisto declined to comment on whether the victims knew, or had any relationship, with the robbers.

The two men entered the apartment on the 200 block of Small Road through an unlocked door and found the group inside. One man displayed what appeared to be a silver handgun, and the two men demanded property from the students, Callisto said.

‘They demanded the property, they took the property and they immediately fled,’ said Callisto, who declined to comment on what was stolen from the apartment.

The students reported the incident at about 10:20 p.m. and both DPS and Syracuse Police Department officers responded to the scene.

Officers went to the scene, while others began to search the immediate area for the two suspects. Police are now following a few leads into the armed robbery, Callisto said.

Callisto could not comment on the details of the incident or the ongoing investigation and directed all questions concerning the details of the robbery to SPD.

SPD Sgt. Tom Connellan could not be reached for immediate comment Monday.

Police described the first suspect as a black man, late teens to early 20s, 6 feet tall, about 180 pounds, wearing a black winter coat with fur on the hood and a blue bandanna over his face. The second suspect was described as a black man, late teens to early 20s, 6 feet tall, about 180 pounds, wearing a black winter coat and a white hockey mask, according to the e-mail.

DPS issued an e-mail to the university community about the robbery at 2 a.m. Monday.

Police do not believe the robbery is related to the string of burglaries committed on Winding Ridge over Thanksgiving Break, Callisto said.

Sunday’s robbery marks the seventh robbery in the near- and on-campus area since September. Police have arrested three men and one woman in connection to two of the robberies.