Notre Dame’s Harangody chooses to come back for final season to lead young squad

As Notre Dame missed the NCAA tournament following an 8-10 record in the Big East last year, the state of its team looked grim. Three starters were slated to graduate, and its star player – junior Luke Harangody – was expected to enter the NBA draft.

But then, the now-senior forward, and 2009-10 Big East Preseason Player of the Year, decided to forego his decision to turn pro and come back for his senior season.

‘It has a lot to do with the players we have here and the relationships that have been formed, and I just wanted to have my senior year,’ Harangody said.

Now, a team that was expected to finish toward the bottom of its conference has seen resurgence. With Harangody returning to the Irish, most are expecting the 6-foot-8 forward will take the team on his back in an attempt to bring the Irish back to the NCAA Tournament.

The numbers and accolades tell the story. The star forward was the Big East Player of the Year as a sophomore and was an All-Big East First Team selection as a junior, leading the conference in scoring with 23.3 points per game.

It would have been nearly impossible for the Irish (7-1) to replace those statistics right away, especially after the departure of three other starters, including guards Kyle McAlarney and Ryan Ayers. Without Harangody, the Fighting Irish would have been a far cry from the No. 8 ranking it was given in the conference’s preseason rankings.

Though Harangody’s plan to for his final season came as a surprise to some, senior guard Tory Jackson knew that Harangody would ultimately return for this season.

‘I wasn’t surprised,’ Jackson said. ‘Luke really loves the school, and we have all developed great relationships here. There is just something about the camaraderie of this team. He wanted to test the waters and get his name out there, which was good, but I really think he didn’t want to leave.’

In the early stages of 2009, the tandem of Jackson and Harangody has been effective. Through eight games, Harangody is averaging 25.3 points and 10.3 rebounds, and Jackson is averaging 9.3 points and 4.8 assists.

Though Jackson is pleased to have Harangody back for his extraordinary presence in the post, his feelings extend far beyond Harangody’s basketball ability. After playing with Harangody for more than three years, Jackson understands just how important Harangody is to this program. He is not just a basketball player, but a leader and a mentor both on and off the court.

‘He’s what Notre Dame is all about,’ Jackson said. ‘Guys come here to get an education and make a name for themselves to be successful after school, whether it is in the NBA or just in life. He is the model student and the model athlete for Notre Dame.’

As one of the older guys on the team, Harangody realizes that he has some added responsibility this year as compared to others. With a relatively young team and two incoming transfers, Harangody understands that it is his job to be a leader. It is a role that the forward seems to relish and take pride in.

‘Being a senior this year with Tory, we both realize that we need to step up and be the voice of the team,’ Harangody said. ‘We need to lead the rest of the guys on the team into the Big East because a lot of them have never been there before.’

After finishing 8-10 in the Big East last season and failing to make the NCAA tournament, Harangody is determined to will his team to victory in his final campaign. Though Notre Dame wasn’t pegged as serious contenders in its conference, Harangody believes in his team and is ready to lead the way.

‘I think we’re starting to figure each other out,’ Harangody said. ‘A lot of the guys on this team haven’t played together, so every game we’re getting better and better and more confident. It’s going to be a very tough conference this year but everyone’s got a chance to make a run at it. We’ll be ready to go in the Big East.’

Player to Watch

West Virginia forward Da’Sean Butler was named to the 2009-10 Preseason All-Big East First Team, and he has certainly been living up to the hype. Butler put on a show this past week at the 76 Classic in Anaheim, Calif. en route to a Mountaineers title. Butler was the MVP of the tournament, scoring 26 points in Sunday’s championship win against Portland. The senior currently leads WVU (5-0) in scoring, averaging 18.2 points to go along with 4.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists.

Game to Watch

On Tuesday, Dec. 8, No. 16 Georgetown (5-0) gets an early season non-conference test when it hosts No. 23 Butler (4-2) in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden. This game marks a crucial two-game stretch for Georgetown in which the Hoyas will take on two consecutive ranked non-conference opponents – the other being No. 12 Washington.