Homemade: Local restaurants offer food for a wide selection of meals

With warmer weather on the horizon, it’s finally time to take advantage of some local food wonders. These restaurants are unique not just for their menus but also for their locations. Hidden inside the city, where most people walk by without noticing their existence, they are ignored no longer.

Roji Tea Lounge

Where: Suite 2 108 E. Washington St. (downtown)

Hours: Sunday 3p.m.-11p.m., Tuesday-Saturday 3 p.m.-1a.m.

Average meal: $5-$10

The Roji Tea Lounge is an unexpected oasis in the middle of downtown. Masked by a standard city building, Roji’s interior is actually like something between a restaurant and a spa. The décor is relaxing, with plush couches and small tables when you first walk in, but a welcoming lounge in the back of the restaurant. Customers sit cross-legged on pillows. The small tables force the parties to get closer, fostering the perfect environment for getting to know friends better. The food and tea are as unique as the seating arrangements.

Several types of teas are offered, from dessert bubble tea to several variations of green tea, along with a menu that features desserts like green tea cake and ice cream. Roji boasts that its tea is made with real leaves, not the powder other teahouses use to give the tea a different taste. One particular tea order, the Flower Blossom, is served as a flower in a cup: when hot water is poured on it, the flower blooms to create a tea. All hot teas are served in their own small teapots.

The bubble tea is also delicious: the tapioca balls in the bubble tea taste sweeter than usual and complement the tea well.

While the wait time to get your order is a bit lengthy, it’s worth it. Like the waitress said, ‘Good tea takes time.’

Syra-Juice Juice Bar & Eatery

Where: Marshall Square Mall, next to Subway

Hours: Mon-Thurs 7:30a.m.-6:00p.m., Fri 7:30a.m.-5:00p.m., Sat 11a.m.-4p.m., Sun closed

Average meal: $6-$12

Despite its juice-centered name, Syra-Juice offers something for both the health conscious and the person who prefers large, carb- and meat-ridden meals. Tucked away inside Marshall Square Mall, the menu includes everything from hefty burritos and nachos to salads, soups and organic, vegan selections. The chicken burritos are the best on campus without venturing to Alto Cinco. They come with chips and salsa, so there is no way anyone could walk away from a Syra-Juice meal feeling hungry for more. Syra-Juice also has a soup menu that’s half-price after 5 p.m.

Though the food is scrumptious, the best part of Syra-Juice is its namesake – the beverages. All the smoothies are made with real fruit. There is something refreshing about seeing your smoothie being made with freshly cut cantaloupe and bananas.

The smoothies are both sweet and refreshing without being too overbearing on the taste buds. It makes for the perfect selection on warmer days.

With friendly, lively employees and a decidedly indie feel – the menu is written on a large chalkboard, and the name ‘Syra-Juice’ is spelled out in fake fruit above it – Syra-Juice is a great place to get a pick-me-up between classes.

Strong Hearts Café

Where: 719 E. Genesse St.

Hours: Monday: 8a.m.-6p.m., Tuesday-Thursday: 8a.m.-12a.m., Friday: 8a.m.-2a.m., Saturday: 10a.m.-2a.m., Sunday: 10a.m.-12a.m.

Average meal: $6-$13

It’s easy to miss Strong Hearts Café. Located near Syracuse Stage next to the Marriot Renaissance, the only indication that it exists is a small poster in the window. But once inside, Strong Hearts has a college-like atmosphere that friends can adopt as their own place.

The menu offers healthy vegan foods, and the taste is just as good or in some cases even better than standard fare. Strong Hearts features an extensive selection of milkshakes named after influential people in history. You can order a Malcom X (chocolate/cherry) or a Che Guevara (coffee). Or fill up with the unique all-day breakfast and lunch menu. One selection is the healthy and filling Deluxe PB&J French toast, which is peanut butter and jelly inside of French toast with slices of banana. Teas are homemade and the fruits and vegetables are all locally grown.

The only downside is when you pick up a dessert expecting a sweet treat, you get something more like cardboard with frosting.

But the music poses a redeeming quality. The music section of Strong Hearts Café is what sets this already good restaurant above the rest. The upbeat oldies music puts everyone in a good mood.