Birds of a feather : They won’t be on the field, but SU alums pervade Arizona Cardinals

Not after the historic upset. Not even a week later. Not until Reggie Terry was packed for the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport did it dawn on him. He was getting on a plane – he was headed to the Super Bowl.

‘It didn’t really hit me the night before we left,’ Terry said. ‘I checked in to the plane. (It hit me) we were going to the Super Bowl. We were in it.’

‘We’ is the Arizona Cardinals. He, Terry, a former Syracuse linebacker (1989-93), is the director of Arizona Cardinals’ football administration. It’s doubtful any former Syracuse players will be on the field when the Cardinals face the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII. But Terry’s rise from New York Jets intern to one of the top guys in the Cardinals’ front office makes him a vital cog in the NFC champions’ organization.

When first asked about being a part of a Super Bowl, Terry took a moment to lament. He wished he could be a part of it as a player. At Syracuse, he played in four bowl games – including the Fiesta Bowl his senior season. He said the Super Bowl is something any football buff wants to be a part of ‘as a player.’

Yet Terry, 39, had no trouble transitioning into a behind-the-scenes guy. And he’s on the rise. He was promoted at Syracuse to the Associate Director of Athletics for Football Operations in 2006 and moved on to Arizona a year later. His job with Arizona includes working on game film, scheduling travel and supervising day-to-day front office and team communication.

‘Everything he touches turns to gold,’ said Chris Gedney, a former tight end for both Syracuse and the Cardinals, who has been in touch with Terry via e-mail and text messages since the playoff run.

Players loved his enthusiasm when he worked at Syracuse. And Terry has now been forming his own solid relationships with Big Easy rivals – like University of Pittsburgh grad and star Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

‘We tease each other,’ said Terry from Tampa, Fla. – while at the same time Fitzgerald spoke with reporters during Super Bowl media day. ‘Fourteen or 15 years straight we beat Pittsburgh. Then, his freshman and sophomore year they beat us, and he always being a former Big-East guy we talk about some of those things.’

If the Cardinals keep finding success, Terry could find himself moving up again in the world of football management. But Terry doesn’t want to spend too much time thinking about that just yet. There’s a Super Bowl on the horizon.

‘Obviously the Super Bowl is the pinnacle of our profession,’ Terry said. ‘I’ve been watching it my whole life and wanting to be a part of it.’

Rob MooreThe former SU star wideout Rob Moore led the Arizona receiving corps from 1995-2001 and led the NFL in receiving yards in 1997. Moore was also one of the reasons Terry attended Syracuse. They attended the same Long Island high school and Moore’s presence on campus was one of the reasons Terry chose Syracuse.

Moore also showed up in the movie ‘Jerry Maguire.’ Cuba Gooding Jr.’s character, receiver Rod Tidwell, wore Moore’s No. 85. And Moore’s highlights were used when game footage of Tidwell was needed in the film. Moore currently calls the highlights as a member of the Cardinals broadcasting team.

Quentin HarrisSitting right next door to Terry in the Cardinals’ offices is Quentin Harris. The Cardinals’ pro scout was a safety for Syracuse when Terry was head of the Orange’s football operations. After a few years playing in the NFL, including a stint with the Cardinals, Harris joined Arizona’s front office.

Alex ShorReggie Terry helped recruit Alex Shor to Syracuse. Now the tight end lines up on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad. Shor’s job is to emulate players on opposing teams in practice.

Dave PaschDave Pasch, a 1994 Syracuse University graduate, worked the play-by-play for the Orangemen football and basketball teams from 1999-2002. He’s now the voice of the Arizona Cardinals.

Anthony SmithThe Pittsburgh Steelers’ most recognizable ex-Syracuse player, Anthony Smith, is the only former Orange player who has a legitimate shot at being on the field on Sunday. But Super Bowl forecasters say the odds are against him.

Smith won’t make a prediction this time, like he famously did of his team beating the New England Patriots in 2007. He’s learned his lesson. Now he hopes the Pittsburgh Steelers give him a chance.

He gained some notoriety for his prognostication last season that the Steelers would knock off the undefeated Patriots. Instead the Patriots routed Pittsburgh, 34-13, and Smith – who started in place of an injured Ryan Clark – was victimized repeatedly by Tom Brady. That performance might have contributed to Smith’s current spot on the bench.

‘I don’t know if it was or wasn’t,’ Smith told the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune this week. ‘I don’t know what they’re thinking. Nothing was really being said, just the events that took place. I got pulled from the starting lineup, and I didn’t get to play in the playoff game (against Jacksonville). The actions pretty much speak for themselves.’

Smith was active during 14 games this season, but inactive during both playoff games.