12-hour dance marathon to benefit health care nonprofit

Syracuse University will host its first ever 12-hour dance marathon Saturday.

The Syracuse Dance Marathon will start at 2 p.m. and end Sunday at 2 a.m. in the Schine Underground. It is an effort to raise awareness for Doctors for Global Health, a nonprofit that provides health services to people in Central and South America.

Nick Poulos, co-chair of DGH’s development and finance committee, said the event will raise money for DGH awareness and international projects, as well as encourage a healthy lifestyle. Saturday’s marathon will mark DGH’s first-ever event like this across the country.

Poulos, an adjunct professor in SU’s School of Social Work, said DGH members plan to educate the students who attend about the needs of people in poor communities.

‘Throughout the day we will have dance groups from dance studios in Syracuse performing,’ Poulos said. ‘We also have several student groups and clubs who will be performing as well.’

DGH is coordinating the event with the College of Human Ecology, the chancellor’s office and the Office of Student Affairs. DGH also formed a partnership with the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, along with other leadership, social work and human service organizations on campus.

Poulos said he hopes the Underground’s 350-person capacity is met. Any donation will be accepted as admission to the event.Participating groups include SU’s swing club, who will highlight the evening with their midnight performance.

Ashley Waring, DGH student coordinator and member of SU’s swing club, said she is looking forward to not only performing, but also seeing diverse groups dance throughout the marathon.

‘There will also be ballroom, rumba and cha-cha, among other dances,’ said Waring, a fifth-year industrial and interaction design major. ‘I’m really looking forward to seeing all the community participation come together at the event. I think for a lot of students, it’s unusual to participate in a fundraising event that’s really fun too.’

Dessa Bergen-Cico, assistant professor in the department of Health and Wellness, explained that the diversity of dances was a major reason why SU’s College of Human Ecology and department of Health and Wellness teamed up for Saturday’s event.

‘It helps raise awareness to the health needs of people, on a global basis in areas that tend to be overlooked with other global issues,’ Bergen-Cico said.