Rumor has it…

Kerry Maguire said he thought JuicyCampus.com was an interesting idea, until he saw the actual content.After looking at a post about the recent deaths of Syracuse University students, the communication and rhetorical studies major said he was disappointed by the judgment of his peers.

‘Posts like that are unnecessary and offensive,’ he said.

The anonymous Web site, which requires no registration or login, made its way onto the SU campus this fall, concerning students, university officials and, more recently, psychology and technology professors. Posts vary from sorority bashing to listing supposed homosexual students on campus.

‘It can be harmful to other people,’ said Carly Freiman, a freshman inclusive elementary and special education major.

‘It’s funny to laugh at, but when it’s your name, it’s not funny anymore.’

A recent ABC on Campus news story reported rumors that SU officials planned to block on-campus access to the site. ABC on Campus also reported it was not able to confirm these rumors.

Both Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina and University Spokesman Kevin Morrow confirmed in e-mails that the university is not banning the site.

‘At this time, the university is not banning the Web site, as we believe that this is a dramatic step that has broader implications and also has quite a few workarounds,’ Spina said.

When it comes to the logistics of blocking access to sites like JuicyCampus, Lee McKnight, an associate professor of information studies, said it’s not that easy.

If the university blocks one gossip site, the rest have to be blocked as well, he said. Universities might ban access to sites if the content floods the campus’ network or deals with issues of copyright, like illegal downloading.

‘That’s not an appropriate use of campus utilities,’ said McKnight.

Universities may also step in when the sites cross certain lines, including harassment. If a site’s content is ‘legally actionable, the university would take action,’ McKnight said. ‘Being the Web police is not anyone’s day job.’

Harassment may soon apply to the content of JuicyCampus.com and other gossip sites like thedirty.com, which is more photo-based than text-based.

Psychology professor Alecia Santuzzi said technology-based bullying might be more problematic than face-to-face bullying.

Face-to-face bullying occurs in a relatively controlled environment, she said, but there is less, if any, control with technology bullying.

‘There’s a lot less control (on the Web),’ Santuzzi said. ‘There’s less opportunity to be able to save face.’

When it comes to online gossip and bullying, people can’t rely on the typical social norms, she said.

‘Face-to-face bullying stops when someone is watching or when someone can get into trouble,’ she said. ‘With a Web page, there are benefits (for bullies) because it’s anonymous, and you’re not accountable.’

Unlike interpersonal bullying, using technology doesn’t typically allow victims to have a support system, which Santuzzi said is important when being targeted. Without this support system, victims are more likely to be hurt, but because technology is moving so fast, the legal aspect hasn’t caught up with the psychological issues behind online bullying, Santuzzi said.

‘Once (the psychological research) catches up, stronger laws will be put into place,’ she said. ‘Face-to-face harassment will translate into a technology environment.’ David Taube, a senior magazine journalism major, has never used JuicyCampus.com, but he learned about the site in his communications law class.

As of now, the laws are not up to speed with online gossip, and an anonymous person can’t be held accountable for posting false rumors, he said.

‘You could say false, damaging things with no consequences,’ Taube said. ‘You won’t see consequences until there are laws.’ There are students torn between the freedom of speech and protecting innocent victims of the site’s gossip.

While the university confirmed it is not banning access to the site, Spina said JuicyCampus.com and sites like it are being further researched.

‘We are discussing this site and learning more about what our options are,’ he said. Maguire, like Spina and SU administration, said he’s unsure about the Web site and where he stands when it comes to the issue of free speech and posting hurtful gossip.

‘It’s a tough call,’ said Maguire, a communication and rhetorical studies major. ‘Freedom of speech is important, but when it comes to personally affecting lives, within my school, I think the school should have the right to (monitor) the Web site.’