MBB : For Southerland, SAT final hurdle to getting to Syracuse

Jim Southerland insists his son is not nervous.

He’s put in too much time and too much effort to fail this time around. Oct. 4 is game day for James Southerland.

He identified his weakness: algebra. Has a personal trainer, a SAT coach. And Southerland is practicing regularly, crunching out math exercises daily in textbooks and on his computer.

So, no. This time, James Southerland is not nervous for the SAT – even though it’s what barred him from coming to Syracuse this fall.

‘He doesn’t seem nervous,’ his dad said. ‘He’s upbeat.’

James Southerland, a three-star recruit per Scout.com, was supposed to join Mookie Jones and Kris Joseph in Syracuse’s freshman class, this season. Instead, he is staying at Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) for another season. The 18-year-old’s plans were thwarted after falling short of NCAA requirements on the SAT twice.

‘This is the big part of me enrolling to Syracuse,’ James Southerland said. ‘I’m working on my math score – that was my big problem.’

Beyond the SAT score, Southerland admits he is not mature enough yet. Not just for the rigorous Big East schedule, but for his class schedule. Waking up on time for class. Being independent. Southerland knew he was not ready for college all-together. And the operative snag blocking Southerland is academics. In less than two weeks, he’ll take the SAT for the third time. And again on Dec. 6, if he falls short. Southerland said he is 80 points below the score he needs to get accepted.

With only two classes, Southerland’s been able to prepare daily for the SAT, which his dad said was ‘exactly the main reason’ his son isn’t at SU this fall.

‘I’m sure he’ll be able to get there,’ Jim Southerland said. ‘That should not be a problem. From day one, he’s had extra prep time with the SAT test. (Notre Dame Prep) has had a lot success with a lot of guys, so I’m not worried.’

The NCAA’s academic requirement for Division I athletics is based on a sliding scale that combines an institutionalized test score with a grade point average. The higher the GPA an athlete has, the lower his SAT or ACT can be for admittance, and vice versa. Hence, a 3.5 GPA corresponds to a 400 score on the SAT (math and verbal). And at the other extreme, a 2.0 GPA demands at least a 1010 on the SAT.

‘You have to know the system,’ James Southerland said. ‘I have to prepare for it every day. It’s definitely not easy.’

Neither is this whole waiting game. Last spring, at Syracuse’s game against Georgetown, Southerland watched in anxious ire from his seat at the Carrier Dome. As the last seconds ticked away in SU’s 77-70 win, fans spilled the court and Southerland needed to curb his enthusiasm.

He wanted to be out there. The coming year, as planned. Syracuse has been his ‘dream school’ since seventh grade when he watched Carmelo Anthony lead SU to a title. The moment only added to his hunger to play. And if it was him staring down the tidal wave of students, Southerland said he would’ve embraced the mosh pit.

‘I would have taken my chances,’ Southerland laughed. ‘Looked like everybody was having fun, they were winning and the crowd was behind them. Thirty-two thousand fans.’

But academics have sidetracked this urge.

After the game, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim told Southerland not to worry – that it’s a different process for him. A ‘patient process.’ Be patient, and it will pay off down the road.

Reclassifying was a possibility for Southerland even before his academic troubles. The thinly built, 6-foot-7 Southerland, who averaged 17.6 points and 11.3 rebounds per game two years ago at Cardozo High School in Queens, N.Y., is using the extra year to beef up. He compares himself to Demetris Nichols, a shoot-first forward capable of catching fire from three. But after watching Syracuse and Georgetown up close last year, he knows it’ll take more than finesse.

‘The Big East is a men’s league,’ he said. ‘It’s a big mental thing, knowing I can compete with these guys.’

Southerland’s coach at Cardozo, Ron Naclerio – who has coached NBA players Rafer Alston and Royal Ivey – said it’s the norm for New York City prospects to take an extra year of prep basketball before college.

‘People see what he can be,’ Naclerio said. ‘It’s like when the Mets drafted Darryl Strawberry – a tall, lanky 6-6 kid going to the minor leagues. You draft him based on what you think he can be. You didn’t see the Daryl Strawberry until several years later.

‘Some kids mature a little slower than others. That extra year will be great for him.’

It’ll be a deep breath of sorts for Southerland, considering his basketball career has been a race since committing to SU as a 16-year old. He was always the ‘young guy’ at Cardozo, and last year at Notre Dame, Southerland competed against players two and three years older than him. So for Southerland – who was ‘always young for his age,’ his father said – a year against peers should help. After all, there was a reasonable possibility that the raw wing could have been redshirted by Syracuse this year anyway, had he qualified.

Southerland admits he still has to mature. But the kid worried about getting to class on time is growing up, his dad and former coach say. On Oct. 4, Southerland hopes to prove it. And punch his ticket to Syracuse.

‘I’m already seeing the dividends,’ Jim Southerland said. ‘He has a strong work ethic. He’s putting in the shots, lifting the weights and putting in the study time. His mindset is focused.’

SU to face Florida

Regardless of what happens at the Carrier Dome in the opening round of the College Basketball Experience Classic, Syracuse will advance to the semifinals in Kansas City. Last week those automatic matchups were announced. On Nov. 24 and 25 the Orange will play Florida and defending-national champion Kansas will battle Washington. All four schools are the host teams for the 12-team tournament, which will be held Nov. 14-20.

The CBE championship round in Kansas City will run Nov. 24 and 25 at the Sprint Center. The other eight teams will play in a round robin style tournament, ensuring that all participants play four games total.