Speaker announced for Life Sciences dedication

The scientist who was the first to have his own genome mapped will speak at Syracuse University’s Life Sciences Complex dedication ceremony in November.

J. Craig Venter was chosen by a group of faculty in the life sciences department with the goal of inviting a speaker who has something engaging and provocative to say, said Cathryn Newton, dean of The College of Arts and Sciences.

‘We want to highlight someone whose own work was edgy and of the highest caliber,’ she said.

Venter recently published his autobiography, ‘A Life Decoded: My Genome, My Life,’ and founded the nonprofit J. Craig Venter Institute, which is dedicated to the acceleration of the study of genomics, or genetic mapping of organisms.

While several potential speakers rose to the top of the list, Newton said, there came the issue of availability for the Nov. 7 dedication date. She would not give the names of the other possible keynote speakers.

‘We’re so excited (about Venter),’ she said. ‘…We don’t want to create a difficult climate for the speaker.’

Newton said this is a standard process when selecting speakers for any Arts and Sciences event, including Freshman Forum.

Although the Life Sciences Complex will open in July, Newton decided to make the dedication in November to ensure the transition into the new building is complete.

‘We want the building to be fully alive and activated,’ she said.

November is also when the board of trustees has its fall meeting, which will be in attendance. The Nov. 7 date was a university-wide decision, Newton said.

The dean, who will be stepping down at the end of this semester, will attend the dedication ceremony and anticipates a good turnout based on the site dedication several years ago, which had hundreds of people.

The dedication ceremony will not only feature Venter’s keynote address but also will include tours of the new building, laboratory demonstrations and discussions about life sciences. Although Venter’s schedule is not finalized yet, he is committed to participating in several activities, Newton said.

Newton envisions a day of learning and discussion between the renowned scientist and life sciences research students.

‘I hope there is a spirit of open discourse, which defines the discovery in the sciences,’ she said. ‘…We want a lot of student contact.’

Venter was not available for comment.