Q&A with CBS’ Horowitz

Jason Horowitz, a 2005 Syracuse grad, reached the ‘final four’ on ESPN’s second season of ‘Dream Job.’ At the time, the broadcast journalism major was only a senior at Syracuse. Now as a member of both CBS SportsLine (the online sector of CBS Sports), and the Madison Square Garden (MSG) network, Horowitz will be covering his first Super Bowl – for two networks. Before heading to Arizona, Horowitz spoke with the The Daily Orange on attending Syracuse, Tom Brady and who will win Super Bowl XLII.

The Daily Orange: How did attending Syracuse help you reach where you are today?

Jason Horowitz: When it came down to decide where I wanted to go to school, it came down to SU and Michigan, and I actually waited until the day before deadline to decide where I wanted to go. I wasn’t sure I was ready to leave home and venture away and all that stuff. And I’m glad I did….the thing about Syracuse is that are so great is that there are so many opportunities to (get involved). I don’t know what it is at the current time. But being a part of WAER, doing it on a daily basis, having internships, working with television stations – basically force you to get experience. It’s a place designed to help you succeed.

DO: After ‘Dream Job,’ did you become a celebrity on campus?

JH: No, I don’t think so. I’d be seen on campus a little more. It didn’t really change my life, but it certainly put me on the track career wise. It put me in touch with more contacts than I would’ve had otherwise. People always ask me what ‘Dream Job’ did for me career-wise, and my answer is it propelled me to where I am today.

DO: What are your plans for the Super Bowl?

JH: I’ll be doing stuff for CBS and MSG…The CBS show is called ‘Countdown to Kickoff’ by Comcast…We shoot shorter segments instead of long half-hour shows. We’ll be doing a team report every day, having players on every single day, breaking down their memories of the Super Bowl (including players like Kurt Warner, Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett). It’s my first opportunity to cover a Super Bowl, to go to a Super Bowl. Obviously I’m excited about that. We’re doing blowout coverage. It’s going to be pretty nice.

DO: What insight you can give us into the game?

JH: I don’t think Tom Brady’s hurt. Obviously we’ll find that more down there (in Phoenix). I’m sure there’s something there. The interesting part is if they don’t win. Is their team the biggest failure in Super Bowl history? If you win this game, you’ve won four Super Bowls in seven years. If you win this game, you’re the best team ever. If you lose this game, you’re talking about one of the biggest disappointments in Super Bowl history.

DO: Do the Giants have any chance?

JH: They definitely have a chance. I don’t think they will win. This is not going to be a blowout. This will not be like the Super Bowl 2000 when they lost 34-7 (to the Baltimore Ravens). Even if they play their best defensively they’re still going to give up points. I’ll say Patriots 31-21.