King for a day

A packed agenda grabbed the attention of the crowd in the Carrier Dome, gathered Sunday night to honor the legacy and spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr.

The guests weren’t solely Syracuse University students or faculty, whites or blacks, but a mix. They joined together on a day devoted to the work of King and his dream of achieving civil rights for all people.

‘I thought it’d be interesting to hear the speakers and learn about our country,’ said Laura Albertelli, a freshman exercise science major. ‘It’s always good to be a well-rounded person…and be able to speak and reflect knowledge on my peers.’

SU’s 23rd annual celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. hosted a variety of songs, poems and speeches by students who had a message about King’s dream. The Black Celestial Choral Ensemble opened the night with ‘Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,’ a performance which brought the crowd to their feet, swaying and singing.

‘I usually come (for a) reinforcement of culture and people’s passion,’ said Ana Hernandez, a first year master’s student in the school of Human Services and Health Professions.

She said the celebration was good for people to get their ‘dosage’ of education and King’s legacy.

As Hernandez had anticipated, the night was filled with passion and education.

Jessica Ann Mitchell fervently recited a poem entitled, ‘This is a Poem for Jena Six,’- the 2006 incident in Louisiana, which charged six black teenagers with the beating of a white classmate, sparking civil rights protests.

‘This is about racism,’ the master’s degree candidate said loudly and avidly.

The poem conveyed black people as a ‘key ingredient to America’s vitamin shake,’ and said black strength would no longer be a ‘supplement.’

Mitchell’s poem elicited cheers and a standing ovation from all around the Dome.

As part of SU’s traditional celebration, each year the Syracuse University Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee selects several people to receive the Unsung Hero award. It is granted to members of SU and the Syracuse area who have made differences in the community and the lives of others, but are not widely recognized, said Judy Holmes, the chairwoman of the Unsung Heroes selection committee.

This year’s recipients include Lakesa Allen, a junior at Corcoran High School, who is a peer educator at a teen pregnancy prevention workshop. Eunyoung Choi and Jung Hoon Oh received the award for their work helping Asian refugees find aid and residence in the Syracuse area.

‘I was impressed and surprised,’ Oh, a Maxwell master’s degree candidate said about being the recipient of the Unsung Hero award.

Gertrude Danzy, a custodian at SU, also received the award. She was acknowledged for her efforts to help ordinary workers make a living and be a part of a safe environment. She also ‘gives a voice to those who society overlooks,’ Holmes said, with regard to Danzy’s activism in voting activism.

Ann Tiffany, a Central New York peace activist, has worked to promote human rights and give support and relief to refugees from El Salvador.

The last award was given to Danya Wellmon and Betsy Wiggins, founders of Women Transcending Boundaries, for their vision and work in creating a safe haven for all women. The group encourages all members to work together to progress the human rights of women.

These recipients are ‘ordinary people who have extraordinary commitment to Dr. King’s dream,’ Holmes said after presenting each of the awards.

Adding a musical celebration to the Dome was the Dr. King Elementary School Choir, which includes students in grades K through five. The young singers, dressed in red robes, performed ‘You are Good’ and ‘Victory,’ bringing audience members to their feet, dancing and clapping.

Closing the ceremony was keynote speaker Barbara Ransby, a professor at the University of Illinois- Chicago. Ransby focused her address on the unfinished business of King and the less-publicized activists, similar to the Unsung Heroes award recipients.

Ransby said she was glad SU pays tribute to the ‘lesser-known actors in civil rights,’ with the Unsung Heroes Award.

The underlying theme of the African-American studies and history professor’s speech was King’s non-violent attitude toward civil rights reform and following the example of his active dreams.

King was a ‘dreamer and a doer,’ Ransby said. ‘Dreamers are the ones that catapult us into a different place.’

Ransby said that ‘MLK was known widely, but not known or celebrated deeply,’ which she reiterated twice, verbatim. ‘Don’t just praise his accomplishments, but follow his example.’

Ransby kept her focus on King but touched briefly on the 2008 presidential election.

‘Voting is not enough,’ she said. ‘It’s hard to believe voting is not everything,’ with regard to this year’s campaign.

Margorie Linzy of Syracuse, who has attended SU’s celebration for 28 years, brought her four grandchildren to this year’s ceremony.

‘It’s good to come out and celebrate and be a part of this,’ the former Carrier Corporation employee said.

Chancellor Nancy Cantor was also present at the celebration only as a guest and member of the lively crowd.

‘It was fabulous,’ said Cantor in an interview after the ceremony. ‘Every year I’ve been here the speakers have been extraordinary. The children are the most moving.’