The Shawn Carter campaign

It’s Shawn ‘Jay-Z’ Carter’s time to roll around to Syracuse come graduation.

The Class of 2008 needs a big-name speaker so it can go out with a bang. Let’s check it out: Last year’s speaker was Pulitzer Prize winner Frank McCourt. He grew up poor, just like Mr. Carter. He established himself based off his proficiency with language, just like Mr. Carter. The year before that, it was Billy Joel, a musician like Mr. Carter. And before that, Jane Goodall, a noted philanthropist, just like Mr. Carter.

In honor of the on-going, student-led campaign to bring Mr. Carter to SU, I ‘sat down’ with Jay-Z and asked him some questions about why he’s a strong candidate and what he can bring for the big day.

DO: What do you think qualifies you for Syracuse Commencement 2008?

SC: Came from the bottom of bottom to the ‘Top of the Pops.’

DO: Where did you grow up?

SC: The Empire State. Home of the World Trade. Birthplace of Michael Jordan.

Home of Biggie Smalls.

DO: Great. Many Syracuse students come from New York or the surrounding area. What part of New York are you from?

SC: Brooklyn, goin’ out for all.

DO: Describe your childhood for the people who aren’t familiar with you.

SC: I was raised in the projects, roaches and rats, smokers out back, sellin’ they mama’s sofa.

DO: That must have been tough. And to come so far, Mr. President of Def Jam, how did you do it?

SC: I grew some, how I knew the sun will shine through. And touch my soul, take hold of my hand.

DO: What advice do you have for graduating students?

SC: Don’t listen to your crew. Do what works for you, standin’ back away from situations gives you the perfect view.

DO: And current students still in school?

SC: In order to survive, gotta learn to live with regrets.

DO: Syracuse University recently started a campaign to raise a billion dollars. How do you think they should allocate the money?

SC: Spending cheese.

DO: Syracuse University works hard to maintain strong ties with the local community. What advice would you give to the city of Syracuse?

SC: It ain’t about your city or borough, it’s ’bout if you really as thorough, and if you are, holla at your boy, I put my hand on my heart, that means I feel you.

DO: And what do you say to the people who think you would be a terrible speaker?

SC: I wish for you a hundred years of success, but it’s my time, cheers.

Shawn ‘Jay-Z’ Carter is the ideal candidate for the commencement speaker. While his accomplishments as an entrepreneur, artist and philanthropist are commendable, it is what he can be bring to this campus that counts in the end. Jay-Z is a public figure respected by many and known by all.

Syracuse, do the right thing and bring the Roc Boy to the building.

Tim Goessling is a senior television, radio and film major and thinks ‘Blueprint’ is better than ‘Reasonable Doubt.’