MSOC : Savvy Caceros provides stability, composure to Syracuse lineup

Some soccer players help their team win by scoring highlight reel goals. Some are adept at passing and setting up their teammates. Others are hard-nosed defenders that deliver crushing tackles. And then there is Kenny Caceros.

In a sport dictated by speed and quick decision making, the Syracuse sophomore midfielder excels at bringing composure and order to the usually frenzied field. Having grown up around the game, Caceros’ soccer savvy comes naturally.

The Orange (4-4-3, 1-4) looks to break its four-game losing streak this Saturday when it hosts Cincinnati (4-5-1, 3-1-1) at 7 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium.

‘When things are hectic on the field, coaches always tell me how they love the way I calm things down,’ Caceros said. ‘My teammates seem to appreciate it as well.’

Caceros credits his laid-back demeanor and acute field vision for his reputation as being a cooling influence to the team. SU head coach Dean Foti agrees with Caceros’ assessment.

‘Kenny reads the game very well,’ Foti said. ‘The way he facilitates possession play allows the team to calm down a little bit.’

Foti said that since Caceros doesn’t score many goals, he isn’t a very noticeable or flashy player. He hasn’t recorded a point this season, despite playing in every game. Foti said his role is more about winning balls in the middle third of the field and maintaining possession for Syracuse.

Although his name won’t appear much in the box score, Caceros’ efforts in the midfield do not go unnoticed by his teammates. SU midfielder Luis Martinez appreciates the way Caceros goes about his business on the field. He said Caceros’ technical skills and composure help his teammates to play better.

‘I really enjoy playing in the middle with Kenny,’ Martinez said. ‘Teams need a midfielder who can slow down a fast-paced game.’

Caceros transferred to Syracuse this semester after playing his freshman season at Maine. He said he jumped at the opportunity to participate against the high caliber of teams in the Big East. He also said he wanted to move closer to his hometown of Nepean, Ontario.

Caceros was born in California before moving to Canada when he was six. His family is of Guatemalan descent – a country where soccer has always been a big deal. Caceros’ father and grandfather both played professionally in Guatemala, so playing soccer became a family tradition, and the sport was introduced to Kenny at an early age.

In high school, Caceros played for Holy Trinity (Ontario) along with one of the top Canadian club teams, the Ottawa Fury. Caceros helped lead the Fury to three-straight national championship appearances from 2003-05.

Caceros said his family and heritage have influenced him the most throughout his soccer career. He said soccer is the love of his life, and his passion for the sport seems to rub off on his coach and teammates.

‘It seems like Kenny was born with a passion for the game that he got from his parents,’ Martinez said. ‘He leaves everything on the field.’

Foti has noticed how Caceros’ family influence has given Kenny a rare soccer gift.

‘Having grown up with the game, Kenny doesn’t have to struggle to see how the game works,’ Foti said. ‘The subtle nuances seem to come naturally to him.’

Caceros said his love for the game has also helped him stay grounded. He describes himself as an honest, hardworking player who just wants to play the game the right way.

‘I don’t want to be a celebrity,’ Caceros said. ‘I want to be remembered as a soccer player. I just want to follow my role on the team and keep playing.’

Caceros has achieved his goal of playing in every game so far this season for the Orange. He said he’ll probably never be a soccer star, but he would like to continue playing as long as possible, regardless of whether anybody notices him on the field.

‘I couldn’t ask for anything more than this,’ Caceros said. ‘Getting an education, playing soccer – there’s nothing better.’