FH : SU hires Bradley as new field hockey coach

For the first time in almost 30 years, Syracuse field hockey has a new head coach.

Former Richmond head coach Ange Bradley was announced as SU’s new field hockey on Wednesday. The announcement came little more than a month after Gross announced he would not retain Kathleen Parker after 29 seasons at SU.

The Daily Orange first reported Parker’s contract was not renewed on Nov. 2.

The opportunity to jump into the Big East was a move Bradley couldn’t resist.

‘I am really excited and thankful to be given such a wonderful opportunity to compete at the highest level in the country, both academically and athletically, at a university with national name recognition,’ Bradley said in a news release. ‘The Big East conference is the premier conference in the country, regardless of sport. The opportunity to compete in this league is wonderful. I am looking forward to the challenge.’

Bradley joins SU after six seasons with Richmond, leading the Spiders to five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and Atlantic 10 championships. She was named the Atlantic 10 coach of the year in 2002 after leading Richmond to a 17-7 season and their first Tournament appearance. In the past five seasons, Richmond was undefeated (42-0) in conference play.

‘Ange Bradley has already proven she is a big time coach and champion while at the University of Richmond,’ Gross said. ‘She is the type of coach who can take our program to the next level and eventually compete for a national championship. She brings tremendous expertise and knows how to create the competitive culture and atmosphere that we are looking for.’

Prior to Richmond, Bradley spent two seasons as an assistant coach at Iowa and four seasons with Maryland, helping the Terrapins win the 1999 National Championship and three Atlantic Coast Conference championships. She comes to SU with a 135-61 career record.

A native of Drexel Hill, Pa., Bradley played field hockey and lacrosse at Delaware, and holds school goalkeeping records for career shutouts and goals-against-average.

Bradley fills the spot left by Parker, who held a 316-214-14 record and 20 winning seasons at SU. Parker was Big East coach of the year three straight years in the mid-1990s.