Committee presents on integrity

Professor Elletta Sangrey Callahan, senior Eric Crites and sophomore Eric Morrissette opened Monday evening’s Student Association meeting with the third-annual Vice Chancellor and Provost’s Committee on Academic Integrity presentation.

Callahan, from the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Crites, a management major and former SA vice president and Morrissette, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, presented information about VCPAI in slideshow format so SA representatives could learn what the committee has done and is doing in regards to academic integrity.

The three highlighted the efforts made to bring a uniform academic integrity policy for the university as a whole, rather than each school crafting its own.

Since 2004, the committee conducted a survey of students and faculty, studied the policies and procedures of other comparable institutions and revised the policy before bringing it before the University Senate in spring 2006. The new policy was accepted by the vice chancellor and provost and became effective July 1, 2006.

‘It is important that students understand this information,’ Morrissette said. ‘Our goal is to promote, educate and support. It is important that we get this information out.’

He also stressed the importance of SA representatives’ understanding the policy so they can explain to any student who might have an issue.

Following the VCPAI presentation, Dana Hill, project coordinator of the New York Public Interest Research Group, addressed the assembly and asked that it consider joining a coalition of student government groups being put together to learn about tuition. Hill said the coalition hopes to call on the New York state governor to increase tuition funding when he creates the state budget.

Fenton Soliz, a freshman in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, expressed his desire to take one of the five open positions for VPA representative.

He said he wants to work to improve the lack of community on campus, especially within the minority community.

‘I have something concrete to contribute to SA,’ he said.

Soliz was voted in unanimously.

Several special programming requests were also approved by the assembly.

The Graduate Students of Architecture and Architecture Student Organization were granted $549.20 to bring two speakers to The Warehouse Auditorium Nov. 10. Asian Students of America received $181.62 for its Asiancinevision Film Screening event to be held Nov. 15.

Fashion’s Conscience received $865.00 for its Dance Party Dec. 1 in the Skybarn on South Campus.

Kappa Phi Lambda received $144.00 for its Talent Show Nov. 16. Lastly, $321.00 was given to the Association for Student-Elderly Connection for its Importance of Elderly Engagement event Nov. 30, which will feature the movie ‘Calendar Girls.’

In his weekly report, SA President Wayne Horton spoke about the Board of Trustees meeting he attended this past weekend, to which the Committee on Student Affairs gave a report on Friday.

Horton said he spoke about many South Campus issues, mainly those concerning freshmen living there. Horton said the issue of the Goldstein Dining Center on South Campus being open later will likely be resolved soon.

‘I’ve been hearing that next semester it will be open later on a trial basis,’ he said.

Horton also said he hopes to do his best to resolve issues on South Campus and also addressed questions from SA representatives.

He assured those who asked about a new dorm in front of Dellplain Residence Hall that one is being built and will be completed by 2008.

Committee on University Affairs Chair Joy LaChelle Ingraham spoke of tours held during the weekend with Public Safety, students and faculty members to survey the lighting situation on campus. Ingraham said they checked for ways to clear brush, replace bulbs or otherwise improve lighting in dark areas.

‘I was very impressed with the professionalism of DPS,’ she said.

She said this coming weekend, groups would be looking at lighting in off campus areas, such as Thornden Park and Euclid Avenue.

Horton wrapped up the meeting by mentioning things he would like to do with SA to end the session, including the creation of a board for students of color that would help dialogue continue consistently, not just as incidents occur, but before.

The next meeting will be held Monday, Nov. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in Stolkin Auditorium.