Question and Answer with Matt Correia, presidential candidate

Matt Correia, a junior economics and philosophy major, is the second and final candidate running for Student Association president. He sat down in the office of the Residence Hall Association for an interview.

Daily Orange: Why Student Association president?

Matt Correia: I just want to continue to make a positive impact for the campus and I think SA is a wonderful outlet for that.

DO: What can you bring to SA and the student body as a whole?

MC: I think, first off, excellent leadership experience. I am currently president of the Residence Hall Association, which deals with around 8,000 students living on-campus. I think president of RHA and president of SA are analogous in many ways. It will be an easy transition from one to the other. Also, I have formed connections with numerous student organizations and numerous members of the administration.

DO: If elected, what goals and plans do you have for Student Association?

MC: I want to bring two important words: collaboration and support. While they are simple words, they are great concepts. SA needs to set the standard for other student groups. The campus isn’t integrated, and since SA allocates $1.7 million yearly to student groups, they are in a great position to support collaboration. I think SA’s goal is to build a support network for the 300 student groups on campus. It needs to make sure the other groups are in the position to accomplish what they were created to accomplish.

DO: Why should students vote for you?

MC: Well, for many of the reasons above. I have a more improved outlook on what SA is and should be doing.

DO: If you could change or improve one thing about Syracuse University, what would that be?

MC: The lack of interaction and collaboration among student groups on campus. So many have complained about there being no support network to help them outreach to other student groups.

DO: How do you plan to campaign?

MC: I have a great group of close friends who have formed the ‘Correia Campaign Team.’ Along with the usual signs, I also plan on using table tent ads for the dining halls, door hangers and word of mouth. I am also available to meet with any student groups or single student who wants to talk with me. I’ll be shaking lots of hands and kissing lots of babies.

DO: What would you consider your best traits?

MC: Maybe you should ask someone else that, to get an outsider’s perspective.

Stephanie Lindahl (director of diversity programming for RHA): What I’ve noticed in working with Matt: he’s very organized. I don’t think RHA would be in such a great stance without him. Since I have joined, our collaboration with other student groups has risen. He is very people-oriented, and always there to help people out. He is kind of like the father of us all.

Megan Cassidy (director of public relations for RHA): Matt’s best trait is that his vision is so clear. On some occasions, the candidate’s vision is ambiguous. He has the type of personality that will make things happen. He would represent all of us very well.

MC: It’s always good for a candidate to have direction.

At the end of the interview, Correia listed his ‘Seven Keys to Success,’ which he said are seven things he would like to do with SA as president.

-Promote collaboration between student groups

-Build a support network for student groups

-Help refine the budget allocation process

-Work to enhance the duties and purpose of the Judicial Review Board

-Broaden and enhance SA public relations campaigns

-Create an effective and useful training program for student organizations

-Demonstrate a desire to reinforce SA’s role as defender of the students