Walking contest highlights exercise sciences’ ‘Journey to Fitness’

The School of Education’s Department of Exercise Science is keeping the faculty and staff of Syracuse University aware of their health this fall with a special program from Sept. 11 to Oct. 6 titled ‘Journey to Fitness.’

The program features a variety of seminars and workshops that will be presented in The Schine Student Center by various members of the exercise science department.

The events will help those who attend learn more about exercise and how to incorporate it into their daily lives on campus, said Elaine Gregory, an assistant professor of the Exercise Science Department.

‘We’re hoping people can learn new things about walking and exercise and how easily they can add it to their day using the campus,’ Gregory said.

Another of the program’s highlights will be a walking contest. Teams of four will participate in this contest, and will receive points for their cumulative steps taken.

More than 30 teams had signed up by Thursday afternoon, and more may be added by the deadline for signups on Friday, Gregory said. The three teams with the highest total of steps will be awarded gift certificates from Dick’s Sporting Goods store in the amounts of $100, $60 and $40.

‘I think any way to get people active is a very good thing,’ said Bette Miller, an undecided freshman.

‘Journey to Fitness’ is the Exercise Science Department’s contribution to SOE’s centennial celebration. Other departments will be putting on their own presentations as well, such as a lecture series.

‘We wanted to do something that was different and that related to our department,’ Gregory said.

Two presentations will be put on each week, which department members hope will give those interested a chance to attend despite a potentially busy schedule.

Topics covered include, but are not limited to, walking programs, how to prevent exercise-related injuries, nutrition and exercise, exercise and time management and blood pressure and exercise. The final presentation, titled ‘Ask the Expert,’ will give attendees a chance to have their questions about exercise answered by exercise department faculty.

While the program is mainly focused toward the staff and faculty of SU, students won’t be turned away at the presentations.

‘We’d like students there,’ said Sandy Trento, the assistant dean of the continuous education and global outreach office.

One of the reasons the program mainly focuses on the faculty and staff is that the numbers in attendance would get too high, Gregory said.

Sophomore public relations major Sung Hee Park also suggested that some students might not attend such a program.

‘I don’t see myself really going to something that’s just a bunch of seminars,’ Park said.

For the next month, those that signed up for the walking contest will be tackling areas around campus that have already been planned out for them, such as the Quad and the Manley Field House indoor track.

‘Besides the obvious health benefits, it brings camaraderie among the staff,’ said Nicole Jones, a continuous education and global outreach office assistant. ‘Some people like to do physical activity in groups. Hopefully the weather cooperates.’