Strong voices, choreography capture energy of cabaret show

Audience members waved banners, shouted catcalls and whistled without restraint as they helped one musical ensemble raise the roof at Grant Auditorium on Friday night.

The surplus of crazed fans pumped adrenaline into the atmosphere as members of the Cabaret Performance Troupe performed musical renditions for ‘Spring 2006: A Serving of Broadway.’ Taking songs anywhere from ‘Les Miserables’ to ‘Spamalot,’ Friday marked the group’s third semi-annual showcase since its creation in fall 2004.

Jackie Ionin, the group’s president and co-founder, grabbed a microphone and attempted to pacify the enthusiastic crowd with a brief introduction.

‘Two years ago I looked around and didn’t see enough opportunities for campus performers as there should be,’ said Ionin, a junior advertising major. ‘We’re extremely proud to be with you today and share with you what (the troupe) has become.’

The modest cadre of about 30 students kicked off the evening’s acts with ‘Ease on Down the Road’ from ‘The Wiz,’ which entailed the entire company filtering throughout the stage and seating area. The song exposed the vocal caliber of the troupe in full force; their abilities ranged from mediocre to well-seasoned, and the students’ freedom to choose musical numbers helped them market their best assets.

A shortage of microphones made some performers sound winded and shaky, though this served as an advantage during occasional moments of off-key harmonization. Shortcomings were compensated by infusion of the crowd’s electric charge into their acts, however.

‘I’m amazed at how wonderful they are,’ said Tanya Graham, mother of freshman performer Alex Graham. She added that her son’s passion is most palpable while he is on stage, and that his highest moods stem from singing and acting.

‘He just blossoms (on stage) … we are very proud of him,’ she said.

Highlights from the show included the rousing choreography of Rent’s ‘La Vie Boheme,’ the cold-blooded sauciness of Chicago’s ‘She Had It Coming’ and a convincing ‘Diva’s Lament,’ from Spamalot. Using homemade constructions and synchronized dance movements, the troupe managed to pull off such popularized songs without a hitch.

Several female students donned netted stockings before assuming spread-eagle poses in ‘She Had It Coming,’ while another playfully slapped her behind during ‘La Vie Boheme.’ There was also a tender kiss at the conclusion of ‘I’d Give It All for You’ from ‘Songs for a New World’ – all three moments sent audience members into a feverish tizzy.

‘I thought the energy of the performers fed the energy of the audience,’ said Emily Steakley, a junior history major and returning audience participant. ‘They were fantastic, and really improved since the last time I saw them. The variety of different musicals was excellent.’

The death scene in ‘Les Miserables” ‘A Little Fall of Rain’ was tastefully executed, though the pelvis thrusting in ‘Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee’ was somewhat juvenile and ineffectual. The lighting and stage design were simple but well incorporated, consisting of several stage lights and a screen projector. Music was provided by one of two student accompanists, and four different group members planned the choreography.

One of the benefits Cabaret Performance Troupe offers is the ability to dabble in theater arts without a background requirement or the obligatory surrendering of one’s schedule, Ionin said. Group member Jesssica Derschowitz, a sophomore English and textual studies major, said she joined Cabaret Troupe after learning with dismay that a theater major – her dream – was out of reach.

‘It has given me the opportunity to be doing what I love,’ Derschowitz said. ‘I love being up on stage – it’s so scary and so exhilarating, it’s like a drug … I’m so proud of everyone. To see yourself improve is just awesome.’

Ionin described the burgeoning growth of both the group and the show’s popularity since its spontaneous start in 2004. Its first organized showcase in the Jabberwocky drew crowds so large that people were eventually turned away, she said.

‘Last semester we had a second show and thought it would solve the problem … we had even more people,’ Ionin added.

Ionin also cited several expectations for the group’s future, such as having musical theme nights and moving the event to the Schine Underground in order to satisfy its hungry aficionado following.

‘We hope to be taking passionate, talented people and become a presence on campus here so people know what we do and that we do it well,’ she said.