Past holiday provides array of good brew and fortune to those who indulge

There are a handful of celebrations that seem to exist solely for the consumption of alcohol. For me, Valentine’s Day is one of them. The Superbowl and Cinco de Mayo are more popular examples. But, on the very top of this alcoholic holiday totem pole, there’s St. Patrick’s Day.

On March 17 in 460 AD, St. Patrick croaked, setting the date for a tradition that would make the patron saint of Ireland immortal. Originally a religious holiday, St. Patrick’s Day has increasingly been celebrated in a less and less pious manner. Brad Holtzman, for example, a sophomore communication and rhetorical studies major, ‘got lucky’ on St. Paddy’s day, but probably not in the way the former bishop and missionary would endorse.

Although the holiday may have lost its traditional sentiments, many of the longstanding customs have remained intact, and none more historic than the wearing of green. This practice is derived from the first third of the Irish flag of the same color, but this practice is appallingly unjust. Why were white and orange snubbed? Popular theory suggests green was elected chief color because of its semblance to the four-leaf clover, a symbol of St. Patrick’s Day. This may be, but shamrocks are associated with St. Patrick’s Day for the same reason eggs are affiliated with Easter: no logical one whatsoever.

It was because of this blatant favoritism towards green on Friday that I decided to boycott all the Irish colors and wear … pink. This was not a good choice, as I became the equivalent of a 6-foot-tall flashing beacon wherever I went. The luck of the Irish was with me, however, and I avoided being pinched by buying a round of shots for half the bar, judging by the receipt I found in my pocket the next day.

St. Patrick himself was watching over me Friday night or maybe it was because I ate Lucky Charms for breakfast, because other than spending $100 on shots, I had infinitely more good fortune than usual. Bouncers merely glanced at my unconvincing New Jersey driver’s license, completely normal lads bought me drinks and I managed to cross two busy Jacksonville roads without getting hit by a bus.

But my good luck on St. Patrick’s Day pales in comparison to other Syracuse University students.

Mike Rothberg, an undecided sophomore in The College of Arts and Sciences, had the good fortune of spending March 17 with friends at Florida State University.

‘We started drinking around noon, went to the FSU basketball game then went to a huge party,’ Rothberg said.

If not for St. Patrick, he might still be navigating the Tallahassee airport.

‘I found my plane at 6 in the morning without any sleep, still quite drunk and high,’ Rotherberg said. If that doesn’t quell St. Patrick skepticism, I don’t know what will.

St. Patrick’s Day may not be the most popular holiday here at SU for obvious reasons, but no matter what your religious preference, everyone can appreciate a holiday that embraces beer, funny dancing, parades and bagpipes. Maybe St. Patrick should also serve as the patron saint of college students.

Christine Bald is a sophomore intentional relations and history major. You can reach her at [email protected].