Eat me!: Forging into 2006, students look to the future with missions of self improvement

Out with the old, in with the new.

Changing everything from the ocean tides to the harvest seasons is a renewing natural force known as time. People everywhere ring in the new year with vows of personal improvement: weight loss, the end to an addiction and even more sleep. And even on college campuses, where greasy food is plentiful and gyms are separated by subzero walkways, Syracuse University and other college students make resolutions suited for their transitional lifestyles and eclectic tastes.

Resolution merrymaking traces all the way back to 153 B.C., when Roman citizens looked to a mythical king named Janus for revival and forgiveness. According to answerbag.com, the god was depicted as having two faces – one looking to the past and one to the future – and offered redemption for the city’s transgressions.

Celebrations for the new year have since evolved to include personalized 365-day missions, usually influenced by a party atmosphere rather than a Roman god. Students with planned ambitions, however, are more likely to see their efforts come to fruition, experts say, regardless of whether their goals deviate from the norm.

Challenge No. 1: Getting Fit

The Mission

Last year at this time, freshman marketing major Sarah Shakour desperately wanted to fit into a pair of size 7 jeans. Eight months later and 30 pounds lighter, a strict dieting regiment and resolution to lose weight appeared to have finally pay off.

‘I wanted to be Beyonce,’ said Shakour, who added she was inspired by a diet special on Oprah. Ready to shed the extra weight, Shakour went from spending 20 minutes every day at the gym to eventually one hour a day. She also restricted her food intake by not eating after 7:30 p.m.

‘The hardest part was giving up fast food and rice … now I hate fast food,’ Shakour said.

Shakour is not alone in her efforts to turn a new leaf at the beginning of the semester. Archbold Fitness Center gets anywhere from 800 to 1,000 users a day, said Joe Lore, the assistant fitness director for Recreation Services. Lore said heavy traffic is not a reflection of New Year’s resolutions in particular, but an overall campus awareness about fitness.

‘In September we get just as many students … students and faculty members are very much aware of leading a healthy lifestyle,’ Lore said.

What Works

After one year of success, Shakour offered simple words of wisdom for people in her previous predicament.

‘Find a goal – something you want to accomplish, and keep thinking about it,’ Shakour said.

It was easier to ease into her workout routine by increasing the time period in small increments and used commonsense notions about eating in moderation, she said.

What the Experts Say

Only 20 percent of individuals who make resolutions actually keep them, according to Randy Sabourin, the president of Personal Fitness, Inc., in Syracuse. Coincidentally, he said the biggest failures are found in the most popular realm for New Year’s resolutions: personal health. He stressed that individuals need to avoid shortcuts and set realistic goals. ‘We tell them (clients) to focus on the journey, not the destination,’ Sabourin said.

Challenge No. 2: Building Better Relationships

The Mission

A semester abroad in Madrid is the source of inspiration for Julie Walas’ New Year’s resolution.

‘I would like to be less self-absorbed and more relationship-centered,’ said the senior broadcast journalism major. ‘I want to care more about friendships and people than about myself.’

In the past, Walas admits she hasn’t been very successful at staying in contact with old friends or keeping resolutions in general, but she vows this year will be different.

‘Having just returned from a semester abroad and having met so many wonderful people there from all over the U.S. … I know I don’t want to give up those friendships,’ Walas said.

The Strategy

Walas said Facebook.com has already served as an indispensable message machine and she plans to continue using it as the semester progresses.

‘Who would have ever thought the Facebook would be such a great form of communication?’ Walas said. She is also planning to rely on old-fashioned e-mail and cell phone calls when time zones permit.

What the Experts Say

The vigorous approach to a New Year’s resolution tends to fade when students become distracted, Lore said.

Walas fears the resolution will turn into a lost cause as her schedule becomes more hectic, she said.

‘It’s difficult trying to have the same feelings about a relationship with someone who doesn’t feel the need to reciprocate the outreach,’ Walas added.

Challenge No. 3: Branching Out

The Mission

This year, University of Wisconsin senior April Glime is making an effort to do something spontaneous at least once a month. The human development and family studies major has already constructed a list of ideas including a road trip, salsa dancing and a pottery class.

‘College can get a bit monotonous with class and homework … I like to spice it up,’ Glime said.

She’s also reviving one measure that previously pitted her against Mother Nature – buying a plant and keeping it alive.

‘I’ve always liked plants … and always killed them, so I want to change that,’ Glime said.

The Strategy

Glime and her boyfriend are taking vows in the spirit of togetherness. Taking Glime’s cue, her beloved has resolved to call his grandparents, clean the bathroom and cook at home more often in 2006. In addition to the usual challenges a relationship brings, the two will have to keep up with the ambitious demands of their quests as time goes by.

What the Experts Say

Statistics show higher success rates for people who utilize the services of a buddy or trainer, Sabourin said. Making resolutions in pairs can be advantageous, but only to a certain extent, according to Sheri and Bob Stritof on the Web site about.com. These writers suggest creating only one or two resolutions together, as well as keeping missions within a short time frame. When goals are fulfilled between two people, they say, the individuals are likely to benefit from support and encouragement.

Challenge No. 4: Finding a Career

The Mission

Seniors Susan Horn and Zeshan Liaqat both made resolutions to prepare for their impending graduation and entrance into the job market. The degree of seriousness in their plans, however, runs from one extreme to the other.

‘My New Year’s resolution is to go to a casino at least 50 times this semester, and each time I go I just want to spend $20,’ said Liaqat, a mechanical engineer major. ‘I want to do this to see if I can have a career in gambling.’

Horn, on the other hand, considers her personal resolution more akin to a lifelong plan.

‘I’m currently trying to figure out what do with the rest of my life,’ said the sociology and inclusive elementary and special education major. ‘I’m looking at grad school and jobs, and I hope in the next six months to be more clear about it.’

The Strategy

While Liaqat is touring local casinos to find his ‘calling,’ Horn said she is seeking the advice of adults, professionals in her field, close friends and family. Admittedly indecisive by nature, Horn said she plans on utilizing the wisdom of professors who have already obtained their master’s degree.

‘I need to explore at this point what is best for me, and put forth effort into figuring out the next step,’ Horn said.

What the Experts Say

As a senior who lived through the trials and tribulations of deciding a course of studies, Horn offered several nuggets of professional advice to undecided underclassmen.

‘Make the most of your opportunities, benefit from your experiences, network as much as you can and continue to work on building your character,’ Horn said.

Challenge No. 5: Getting Organized

The Mission

Katherine Mejia, a freshman accounting major, is using her New Year’s pledge to add a little structure to her life. After spending her first semester at Syracuse University as a night owl, she hopes to incorporate the ‘early to bed, early to rise’ philosophy into her weekly schedule.

The Strategy

In order to stick to her resolution, Mejia said she will try to get her homework done earlier in the day so she is left with time to relax and go to bed at a reasonable hour. She acknowledged a difficulty in staying motivated as the semester continues and external distractions arise, but she remains optimistic.

‘I’m trying – I got up early today!’ Mejia said.

What the Experts Say

Whether becoming more organized involves balancing checkbooks or hitting the hay before sunrise, budgeting one’s time and expenses can have a profound influence on academic performance, according to collegeboard.com. The site suggests finding a study routine, a comfortable study location and taking numerous breaks in order to maximize a student’s mental prowess.