Sexist comments unacceptable, too

I left Caf Con Leche, La L.U.C.H.A.’s celebration of Latino culture, and walked down University Place with two of my girl friends, one black and one white. I felt united with them on this campus. I felt at peace. And then a car pulled up alongside us. One of the passengers stuck his head out the window to us and yelled, ‘SLUT!’

It was like a slap in the face.

For a moment I had felt free of discrimination, but those guys brought me back to reality reminding me that, as a woman, I face a great challenge. Using terms to degrade women, especially when unprovoked, creates another form of hate that brings women down and further establishes an uncomfortable atmosphere. It is up to all of us – both women and men – to understand the effect that sexist remarks can have on a person.

‘Just because it happens all the time doesn’t mean it’s not terrible,’ said Minnie Bruce Pratt, a professor of writing and women’s studies.

Yet offensive language against women has become so common that most derogatory words and actions are often viewed as a joke where women are taken less seriously. Using words like ‘slut’ as a joke toward someone makes other people perceive it as acceptable in a derogatory way, too.

‘It’s never serious, it’s in a joking manner,’ said James Dietrich, a junior marketing and finance major. ‘A lot of women on this campus accept that stereotype.’

Even if it may appear that women ask to be targets in the way they act or dress, men still do not have the right to treat women as if they are not human beings.

And while it’s important for men to see how they are treating women, it’s also up to the ladies to understand that being called names is intended to lower their character. When a situation occurs, they should speak up and stand against it.

But perhaps that isn’t always easy if only one woman is speaking up on behalf of an entire community. The Rape: Advocacy Prevention and Education Center held a dialogue circle last week that opened doors for students to speak about sexist issues. If more of these dialogues are offered regularly, it can provide a place for women to share their experiences and decide what changes can be made.

Maybe then people won’t go around campus randomly degrading others.

Christine Show is a junior newspaper and women’s studies major. You can e-mail her at [email protected].