SU vs. SUNY-ESF: How well do you know your neighbor? SUNY-ESF version

Even though Syracuse University and the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry are barely a textbook’s throw away from each other, the matriculates of both are nothing if not ignorant about the other’s random facts and infamous tales. So here’s your chance to test your knowledge of your neighboring school – or lack thereof of your own.

1) Which of these clubs does not exist at SUNY-ESF?a. Woodsmen Clubb. Papyrus Clubc. Knotholed. Buffalo Bill Club

2) When was ESF founded?a. 1911b. 1799c. 1826d. 1963

3) What is the Quad rule?a. Students can only wear hemp products while sitting on it.b. Students are prohibited from walking across it.c. Motor scooters are only allowed on even days of the week.d. No Frisbees allowed.

4) Where is the favored place for ESF students to live?a. Lawrinson/Sadlerb. An adobe clay hutc. South Campusd. Moon Library

5) What is the proud nickname of ESF students?a. Tree-huggersb. Hemp headsc. Stumpiesd. Forestry freaks

6) Which of the following is an actual ESF class?a. Wood products modification workshopb. Great naturalist seminarc. Grass growth 162d. Tree appreciation 452

7) Which of the following is not an ESF major?a. Landscape Architectureb. Forest Ecosystem Managementc. Natural History and Interpretationd. Wood products engineering

8) How much is tuition per year at ESF?a. $3,056b. $1,562c. $4,882d. $8,926

9) What is the Robin Hood Oak legend?a. A descendant of Robin Hood came to Syracuse and shot an arrow at a tree, but the tree was so strong the arrow could not penetrate it.b. The story of Robin Hood secretly occurred in Syracuse, and the scroll containing this legend is buried under a tree on the ESF campus.c. A tree behind Bray Hill was grown from an acorn from the mighty oak that sheltered Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men in England’s Sherwood Forest.d. Robin Hood is buried under a tree on the ESF campus.

10) Why don’t ESF students have their own dorms and dining halls?a. They have a partnership with SU that allows ESF students to pay the same price as SU students for such services.b. They were all destroyed in the great storm of ’93.c. They’re too lazy to build their own.d. Zoning laws won’t allow it.

11) Which of these has never been ESF’s name?a. New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse Universityb. The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestryc. State University College of Forestry at Syracuse Universityd. The College of New York State, Forest Science

12) ESF was the first college to do this:a. Offer academic courses in pulp and paper in the United States.b. Require its students to become vegetarians.c. Ban cigarette smoking from all outdoor areas.d. Offer the first course in sheep herding.

Answers:1. D2. A3. B. You can sit on it. You can play Frisbee on it. But you can’t walk across it to get to class. Don’t ask us.4. A. It’s as close to ESF as you can get without camping out under a tree.5. C6. B. We’re not really sure what this is, but it exists.7. None of the above8. C, which is actually one of the highest tuitions for any public university in the United States.9. C. Slight problem with the fact that Robin Hood isn’t a real person.10. A11. D. ESF’s current name, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is actually the longest name for any college or university in the United States.12. A

What your score means:10 and over: You go to ESF. Stop taking this quiz now.7-10: You have an appreciation for woodland animals, but don’t know everything about our neighbors.4-6: You need to work on connecting with students from ESF. They have a lot to teach you about tree bark and loving the environment.Under 4: Go back to suburbia, bucko. You’re not cut out for the tie-dye scene.