SU vs. SUNY-ESF: How well do you know your neighbor? SU quiz

Even though Syracuse University and the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry are barely a textbook’s throw away from each other, the matriculates of both are nothing if not ignorant about the other’s random facts and infamous tales. So here’s your chance to test your knowledge of your neighboring school – or lack thereof of your own.

1) What name was given to the original SU mascot, the Saltine warrior?A. Big Chief Bill OrangeB. Chief OnondagaC. The Orange ArcherD. Running Bull

2) Which fraternity building is registered on the National Register of Historic Places?A. Psi UpsilonB. Sigma Alpha EpsilonC. Delta ChiD. Sigma Nu

3) Famous architect I.M. Pei designed which structures?A. Newhouse IB. Le Grand LouvreC. The Everson Museum of Art D. All of the above

4) Why were the school colors changed from green and pink to orange and blue?A. A track student started a color committee after his team bemoaned the absence of masculine shades.B. Orange was chosen after the mascot was changed from the Saltine Warrior to an orange – the chancellor’s favorite fruit.C. Officials adopted the color after students dumped 100 packets of orange Jello mix into Onondaga Lake during a protest.D. Campus safety officials began advising students to wear blaze orange as a safety precaution during deer season and the color caught on.

5) Which president delivered a famous speech on the steps of Newhouse I during its dedication ceremony?A. Richard NixonB. Jimmy CarterC. Lyndon JohnsonD. Ike Eisenhower

6) What campus statue is most commonly mistaken as a sexual gesture?A. ‘Peace Offering,’ next to Hall of LanguagesB. ‘Tidal Wave,’ behind Shaffer Art BuildingC. ‘Dancing Mother,’ in front of Hinds HallD. ‘Slave Child,’ behind Huntington Beard Crouse

7) How many ‘study’ rooms are in Bird Library?A. TwoB. SixC. 12D. Not nearly enough

8) Where can one find the Edmund Mills Rose Garden? A. State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry B. Thornden Park C. In front of the Hall of Languages D. Vacant lot behind Brewster-Boland

9) Who is the real Hendricks behind Hendricks Chapel?A. A well-known international reporter and SU alumnusB. Jimi Hendrix’s first-cousin, twice removedC. A former Syracuse mayorD. An ex-convict turned SU sociology professor

10) What is the most popular place to exchange vows on campus? A. Kimmel B. Hendricks Chapel C. The Quad D. The kissing bench

11) Who are Sacco and Vanzetti?A. Former SU roommates who became self-proclaimed millionaires after investing all of their money into cell phone stock.B. The Italian cooks well-known by Haven Dining Hall traffickers.C. Mafia members who held 12 students hostage in Hendricks Chapel during a Quad showdown in 1988.D. Men wrongly convicted during a1927 murder trial in Massachusetts, then sent to the electric chair.

12) Since 1954, how many SU players have worn No. 44?A. FourB. 10C. NineD. 44

Answers:1. A2. A3. D4. A. Plus, those colors don’t exactly look good together.5. C. The last time Nixon appeared at SU, his likeness was hanging in effigy in front of Newhouse in 1970.6. C. And how.7. C or D8. B9. C10. B. But that kissing bench will get you every time.11. D. The two can be most easily found immortalized in a mural on the side of Huntington Beard Crouse Hall.12. C

What your scores mean10 and above: You dream of Otto the Orange. And not in a good way.7-10: Your Orange pride runs deep, but you could stand to bone up on your SU history.4-6: Your favorite doctor is Pepper when it should be Druger. Go back to biology.Under 4: You’re passed out on the Quad.