FH : Nantulya keeps locker room light

It’s an hour before game time and the atmosphere in the Syracuse field hockey team’s locker room is tense. As players do their best to relax, in walks sophomore Gloria Nantulya. The tension is immediately lifted. The team rejoices around her vivacious personality and even her staggering dance moves.

‘Gloria can break it down like no other before home games, and that’s what gets us pumped up in the locker room,’ said teammate Meg Ryan. ‘She can dance like no one else can.’

This is just an example of Nantulya’s off-the-field influence on Syracuse. As far as on the field, Nantulya has quickly become one of the most improved players for SU.

Seeing some playing time last year as a freshman, Nantulya has exploded this year, starting every game thus far. Nantulya and the Orange play Cornell at Coyne Field tonight at 7.

‘I think she’s just more comfortable on the field,’ head coach Kathleen Parker said. ‘Her skills were rusty last year, so now they’re coming together. She’s just more familiar with the collegiate game and how it’s played.’

Nantulya’s work ethic and self-discipline have helped shape her into the player she is today. Nantulya enjoys the commitment, motivation and determination from her teammates and the competitive atmosphere of playing Division I field hockey.

‘I love the sport and the fact that we get to take it seriously,’ Nantulya said ‘It’s almost like a job.’

She doesn’t even see the cons of being a Division I athlete – just being able to play is what matters most to her.

Nantulya developed her love for field hockey while growing up in Nairobi, Kenya. Her four older siblings had a strong influence over Nantulya, as each played field hockey and other sports as well. Nantulya continued playing on the international level when her club team traveled to Holland to play other junior national teams. Once she realized how competitive the sport could be, Nantulya knew instantly field hockey would be a part of her future.

Living in Kenya not only taught Nantulya the game of field hockey, but also to appreciate life. Nantulya spent 16 years in Nairobi before moving to Massachusetts for two years and then to Switzerland. After experiencing different parts of the world, Nantulya has gained a new perspective on life.

‘Living in a developing country, you see what the worst can be,’ Nantulya said. ‘So when you come here, you know you’re really not that bad off.’

Having seen the impoverished areas of Nairobi, Nantulya and her family have learned to appreciate the things they have and to enjoy themselves.

With just as much devotion she gives toward field hockey, Nantulya is just as dedicated in her schoolwork. She plans to major in public relations. Nantulya spent last summer interning at the United Nations Refugee Agency and gained valuable experience in the field. Nantulya hopes to further a career in public relations and to help create a positive image for her native Africa.

‘I like the idea of getting to change the attitudes towards African countries and to advertise all the causes that need attention,’ Nantulya said.