The Matriarch: After 27 years leading SU field hockey, Kathleen Parker sits one win shy of 300

Syracuse field hockey coach Kathleen Parker has been at Syracuse 27 years. So many years, in fact, that the annual newsletter she writes to her former players topped 18 pages this year.

‘Alum after alum says to me I read every single thing,’ Parker says. ‘Even though I don’t know three-quarters of the people you’re talking about.’

There’s a good chance every one of those players remembers her, though. That’s because the way Parker creates a family atmosphere within her program is unlike most coaches. Today, Parker will attempt to become the sixth active coach in Division I history to win 300 games when Syracuse plays Penn State at 4 p.m.

Building a family atmosphere while at the same time earning 300 victories at the same school is something Parker takes great pride in. There are times when she stands at Coyne Field and still thinks about coaching her team in the field by the Women’s Building almost 30 years ago. She has basically built the program from scratch.

‘The years of field hockey before I got here,’ Parker says reminiscing, ‘It was just a step above a play day to be quite honest.’

Parker believes her success throughout the years and her ability to make the SU program grow into one of more respected field hockey teams in Division I is due in large part to the people she has coached. One of the reasons for Parker’s success is that she helped to mold almost all of them.

‘When I talk about the field hockey alumni and know that I’ve coached 95 percent of them,’ Parker said, ‘there really is a feeling of family there.’

Caylyn Dicruttalo is one of those family members. She played for Parker from 1998 to 2001 and believes one of the reasons Parker has gotten this far is because she builds strong character in her players.

Dicruttalo, like players on this year’s team, believe Parker’s consistency is one of her finest characteristics.

‘Sometimes coaches tell you what you want to hear,’ Dicruttalo said. ‘She has never given in to that.’

While one may think any coach who makes it to such a plateau would be excited about this milestone, think again.

‘Honestly there is nothing about it I think is phenomenal.’ Parker said. ‘It really is just a number.’

To understand how she could say this, one has to understand the psyche of the coach.

Kathleen Parker is intimidating – she paces the sideline like John Wayne in a western. And like any good coach, she always wants more.

Asked if there was a secret to her success which has led her to a career record of 299-201-14, Parker said: ‘I’d like to have been more successful.’

Parker has repeatedly said throughout her time at SU she has never thought about win totals. Her colleagues in the 300-win club echoed her humility.

‘You don’t think about (career victory marks),’ Old Dominion head coach and active Division I wins leader Beth Anders said. ‘If you think about that, you’re wasting energy.’

Anders, who has 449 career victories and has been at ODU for 22 years, believes one of the keys to running a successful field hockey program is the ability to teach. That is something she thinks both she and Parker have done well throughout the years.

Asked how she and Parker have been able to stay on top of the field hockey world for so long, Anders responded sarcastically, ‘I guess we’re the oldest.’ – When you’ve been at a school for as long as Anders and Parker have, you learn to have a sense of humor.

‘Everything has changed,’ Parker said, ‘absolutely everything. I don’t know anything that’s the same other than we still play with a hockey stick.’

Parker will say in order to stay successful, you have to stay flexible. You have to learn to change with the game.

The players who have played for Parker throughout the years admire that flexibility, but they also admire the consistency in Parker’s personality.

‘She’s the same person on the field that she is off the field,’ senior co-captain Paige Sullivan said. ‘It takes a little while to warm up to her, but if you respect her, she’ll respect you.’

Respect is something that players and even coaches who have surpassed her on the career win list have for Parker.

‘I couldn’t be happier for any coach,’ Connecticut head coach Nancy Stevens said.

Stevens, who has 410 career victories and has been at UConn for 16 seasons, believes one of the keys to Parker’s success is the family atmosphere she’s created.

‘I kid her sometimes and say she’s the dean of Big East coaches.’ Stevens said. ‘She’s created a model program at Syracuse.’

Through all the success, you can be sure Parker won’t give into talking about herself or her 300th win in this year’s newsletter. That humility is something which continues to make Parker a legendary figure in the eyes of her fellow coaches.

‘She’ll never say it, but I think it’s tough coaching that many years (with that much success).’ SU assistant coach Mary McCracken said. ‘(Getting 300 wins) is a big deal, it’s an exciting thing.’

Excitement is a trait Parker does not show very often, even on the precipice of her 300th career victory, but that sense of humor is something she’ll continue to carry with her, no matter how many more wins she earns.

‘I think everything has changed,’ Parker said of her time at SU. ‘Except my salary.’