Hunting season: What to look for when shopping for next year’s house

That nail-biting time of year is steadily approaching. This week marks the beginning of house hunting season – endless days filled with potential leases, landlords and headaches by the hectare. Regardless of whether you’re looking at Toad Hill apartments or houses on Euclid Avenue, students put countless hours of energy and consideration into the housing process. In the end, finding one’s home-sweet-home shouldn’t entail a hefty gas bill or possibly shifty landlords.

1. Tour the Internet. Many apartment agencies allow students to view housing options at the click of a mouse, including digital photographs. Web sites are inlets to vital information such as parking availability, utility costs, whether an apartment is furnished, the cost per semester and room dimensions. The Internet offers advantages that classifieds and word-of-mouth advertising lack.

2. Check the Classified ads. For apartments not listed on the Internet, the newspaper is a good way to shop for the best deals and options around campus. It is also one way to find housemates and instantly make price comparisons.

3. Know your landlord. Find out how he or she operates and get a sense of how the business is run before meeting to sign a lease. One way to do this is by talking to students and other landlords about reputations surrounding accessibility, accountability and friendliness. This Tuesday, Syracuse University is offering an off-campus student housing fair in Schine Student Center to assist this networking process.

4. Tour. Ask the right questions. Once you’ve whittled down your housing options, take advantage of tour dates offered by housing agencies. Drilling the right questions, such as ‘Is this area safe?’ and ‘Do you provide snow care?’ can reveal important deficiencies. Pet allowance, the term of lease and parking availability are other important factors to consider. During the tour, scrutinize the condition of an apartment as well as its proximity to campus.

5. Read over the lease thoroughly. Most landlords and agencies schedule ‘reading appointments’ during which tenants may read over the conditions with a landlord. Faxing copies of a lease to family members may also prevent getting scammed by manipulative wording in a drafted document.

6. Last but not least, save enough money for the initial deposit you’ll have to fork over when you sign the lease. You’re on your own with this one.

Landlords:Sam Metz – (315) 478-2161Ben Tupper – (315) 420-6937John O. Williams – (315) 478-7548Peter Williams – (315) 445-2814Hugh Gregg – (315) 445-1808

Apartment Agencies:Campus Hill Apartments – campushill.comOrange Housing – orangehousing.comUniversity Area – universityarea.comCampus Rent – campusrent.comOPR Developers – oprdevelopers.com